Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

2.5 weeks in Cambodia & Thailand

Posted by ERS1987 on 3/12/2013 at 09:16

Hi all,
I'm flying to Bangkok around the 15th of February and flying home again on the 4th of March. I am going to get the bus to Cambodia to meet my sister as that's where she's going to be (unsure of exact location yet). What itinerary would you recommend in Cambodia and as we work our way back to Bangkok to fly home? Planning on spending a couple of nights in Bangkok at the end. I've never been before so I'd really appreciate the advice!
Thanks
Emma

#1 ERS1987 has been a member since 3/12/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 3/12/2013 at 23:14

First - I am assuming, because you don't know yet, that you'll meet your sister in Phnom Phen. That's a LONG and painful bus journey from Bangkok. Very long and very painful. Fly that leg if in fact that's where you guys are meeting up.

After that it's kind of hard to advise you. Beaches are south, the famous Angkor Wat is west / northwest. So it would help if your interests were clear. Just a reminder that the distances can be long and uncomfortable when you start travelling long legs within or between countries.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by chinarocks on 4/12/2013 at 04:00

With roughly two weeks in Cambodia then it's probably the usual two week trail - PP, Kampot, Sihanoukville and Siem Reap / Angkor.

Do fly to PP and then bus around Cambodia, you could probably manage the bus back from Siem Reap to Bangkok.

One useful journey that I'm not sure is that well known is an overnight bus from Sihanoukville to Siem Reap, which can save you a day of travel, esp if on a tight timeframe. Check out the reputable operators at all times however as bus travel in Cambodia is not renowned for its safety.

#3 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Posted by ERS1987 on 4/12/2013 at 04:26

Hi both,

Thanks for your replies. Apologies I wasn't clear. Ideally I want to do say just 5 days in Cambodia and then the rest of the time in Thailand before heading back to Bangkok. I know that there isn't much in the South of Thailand on the way from Cambodia to Bangkok so I wondered what a good destination would be?

We are both young - in our twenties - but we don't need it to be crazy, I am quite open to be honest. I think some nice relaxation after Cambodia and before Bangkok would be good. She will have done 6 weeks in Thailand before I get there including the Southern islands - Ko Samui etc.

Thanks

#4 ERS1987 has been a member since 3/12/2013. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.