Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Kampot Pepper

Posted by mrdome on 16/2/2014 at 11:57

Can anyone recommend a trusted source for high quality pepper from the region? Any opportunities to buy direct from local farmers?

#1 mrdome has been a member since 3/5/2008. Posts: 43
 Send mrdome a private message 

Heading to Thailand?
Heading to Thailand?
Ad Search for cheap flights to Thailand
on Skyscanner.

skyscanner.com

Read more

Posted by eastwest on 16/2/2014 at 20:34

I live in that region and there are plenty of farmers/exporters

If you tell me what you're looking for (import for business, souvenir, quantity and so on) and give all other relevant information then I can steer you towards people/businesses that can help you. What you're currently asking is too vague.

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by jturley on 17/2/2014 at 09:38

You can buy genuine Kampot Pepper right at Amazon.

http://amazon.IndoChineSpice.com

#3 jturley has been a member since 17/2/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by amnicoll on 18/2/2014 at 06:16

....but much more expensive on Amazon

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 969
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by mrdome on 18/2/2014 at 07:10

I'm looking to start with 1kg each for black, white & red. Not (starting) a business - I just love pepper.

jturley, I will be in Kampot next month, so no need to look up online sources.

#5 mrdome has been a member since 3/5/2008. Posts: 43

Posted by jturley on 18/2/2014 at 07:38

If you go to the market in Kampot , beware that a lot of the vendors (not all) are really selling pepper from Kampong Cham and Vietnam. They'll be charging about USD$15 per kilo or Black, more for Red and White. Beware of counterfeit Pepper. The price of Cham pepper is about USD$5 / kg at the farm, compared to USD $15 or more for pepper from the Kampot Designation.

I suggest you go right to the farm. Sothy's on the road to the Vine Resort is lovely place, and their farm are official members of the Kampot Pepper Producers Association (KPPA).

In Kampot City, Farmlink is a big player. Their retail demonstration garden/shop is across the river, easy to find. Expect to pay a lot there. Maybe as much as USD $60 per kilo. All of their pepper goes to France with some to Senteur in Siem Reap.

It is now harvest time, and the crop is late. So you will most likely be buying from the 2013 Crop, which was sold out early. Supplies are very limited, as most of the Kampot Pepper is exported to France, EU, etc. I import it to the US. And, the 2014 Crop is 120% oversubscribed. So expect prices to go even higher.

Hope this helps.

James

#6 jturley has been a member since 17/2/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by mrdome on 18/2/2014 at 08:01

Thank you, James. I would be less inclined to buy Kampong Cham or Vietnamese pepper if I have a choice.

Is anything done to increase harvests - are more small producers starting up?

#7 mrdome has been a member since 3/5/2008. Posts: 43

Posted by jturley on 18/2/2014 at 08:12

Problem is: you won't know if it's from Cham or VN. That's why you have to buy from a trusted source. This is good advice for buying anything in Cambodia.

Just go to Sothy's by tuk-tuk. Up the road from her pepper farm about 2km is the Vine Resort with super restaurant for lunch. They'll let you use the pool there too. Vine has Kampot Pepper too, but better to stick with Sothy's or Farmlink. I'm not saying that all the pepper at the Kampot Market is fake, just beware.

#8 jturley has been a member since 17/2/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by mrdome on 18/2/2014 at 08:15

OK, Sothy's it is.

#9 mrdome has been a member since 3/5/2008. Posts: 43

Posted by phuphum on 19/2/2014 at 03:30

I live near Kampong Cham and buy the local pepper from Memeut at a cost of approx $8/kilo. I always ask for mrik memeut leik muay (numbet one quality of Memeut pepper) I have sampled Kampot pepper and find no significant difference to justify the price difference. A German NGO has been working with the farmers in Memeut and has improved the quality tremendously. They have also formed a co-op and worked with the Ministry of Agriculture to help them export directly and not be underpaid by Vietnamese middlemen.

#10 phuphum has been a member since 22/10/2011. Posts: 49

Posted by eastwest on 19/2/2014 at 04:17

Probably best to emphasize that the Kampot pepper (at least the famous one) is/was originally grown in Kep . Many people seem to miss this important point and Kep used to be part of Kampot province. The Kampot part of 'Kampot pepper' referred to the province and not the town.
Buying pepper in Kampot town will always give an uncertain outcome.

So best to take a tuk-tuk to Kep and buy from one of the farms near the Vine retreat. There are plenty of farms there and for small amounts such as 1kg you can try any of the farms along that road. No need to go for a specific farm.

Another area closer to Kampot town, called the 'Secret Lake', produces some excellent pepper with many farms starting up there. A visit to that area would make for a nice trip as well although most pepper farms there are not that used to foreigners showing up to buy pepper directly.

#11 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Posted by michien on 8/1/2015 at 20:56

I can't wait to get my hands on some of this

#12 michien has been a member since 1/11/2007. Posts: 37

Posted by mrdome on 9/1/2015 at 01:33

I use it everyday and can highly recommend it (my 81 year old mum just asked me for more too and she's very picky - enough said).

I also recommend the locally made sea salt and the palm sugar you find in Cambodia in general. ... Liking fried tarantulas is optional...

#13 mrdome has been a member since 3/5/2008. Posts: 43

Posted by michien on 11/1/2015 at 17:28

Well you don't know if you don't try.....

#14 michien has been a member since 1/11/2007. Posts: 37

Posted by acpgee on 20/2/2015 at 04:58

I bought red @ $46 per kg for red and black @ $32 per kg at Phnom Voar Plantations a little further up the road to Vine Retreat. Seeing the price discrepancy I probably should have stopped at Sothy's instead. That said, I could taste before I purchased at Phnom Voar which led me to skip the white, being not nearly as special as the black and red.

My hotel claims that Kimly Restaurant on the Southern end of the crab market in Kep is a trustworthy source. Their black is $32 per kg and red is $36. I think I overpaid. However their pepper looks of lesser quality being less smooth and more shrivelled.
This is a reminder of your appointment at the National Hospital on Tue, Dec 16 at 16:20, Clinic MHP02. If you cannot attend please call 020 3448 4777.
At a Khymer cooking class I was instructed to pick denser, heavier peppercorns over light ones. Also smooth skins versus shrivelled ones.

#15 acpgee has been a member since 20/2/2015. Posts: 4

Posted by michien on 1/3/2015 at 22:20

Thanks for info & duly noted, not sure why I need to be reminded of the hospital appointment though

#16 michien has been a member since 1/11/2007. Posts: 37

Posted by acpgee on 2/3/2015 at 01:47

Sorry about the hospital reminder. Something must have gone wrong with copy paste. I see that Sothy's also sells pepper online at prices higher than what I paid at Phnom Voar Plantations just down the road.

http://mykampotpepper.asia/kampot-pepper/offers-prices/

#17 acpgee has been a member since 20/2/2015. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.