Text page

Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Help with my Cambodia route

Posted by katieandchris on 4/3/2014 at 14:22

We are planning a 5-6 month adventure around South East Asia later on this year. The hardest country I am finding to plan is Cambodia. We will be entering from Thailand and going on to Vietnam.
We will be in Cambodia after the 12th December, we are planning on spending roughly one month and so will be there for Christmas and New Year. The main places we want to visit are (in no particular order):
Siem Reap
Battambang
Phnom Penh
Kampot and Kep
Possibly Kratie (if it's worth it??)
Sihanoukville (to get to Koh Rong)

Have I missed anywhere? (Feel free to add your destinations)

I want the order of places we visit to make sense in terms of coming in from Thailand and going on to Vietnam, as well as incorporating the best places to be for Christmas and New Year. Happy to revisit places briefly if necessary.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

#1 katieandchris has been a member since 28/7/2013. Posts: 12

Posted by eastwest on 4/3/2014 at 23:04

Nothing wrong with that list.
Easiest would be to enter Cambodia at Poipet and then visit those places in the following order:
-Siem Reap
- Battambang
- Phnom Penh
- Sihanoukville
- Kampot
- Kep and enter Vietnam at Ha Tien

This way you won't have to backtrack anything

Is Kratie worth it? Always difficult to tell but for your itinerary I'd say no. It's out of the way and will add quite some travel time if you don't plan to travel on wards to northern Cambodia/Laos. If you have the time you can do it but then I would add a few more places in that region to make the travel worthwhile. It will mean that you will have to shave off some time from the other destinations

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by amnicoll on 5/3/2014 at 06:37

Depends on what you wish to see and do - somewhere like Chi Phat might appeal for the village life in the jungle

I like Kratie but time is the factor

http://www.ecoadventurecambodia.com/

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 971

Posted by gregmccann1 on 6/3/2014 at 08:43

Kratie is a bit out of the way and unless you are dying to see Mekong dolphins then I'd say time doesn't permit. It's a nice town, but 2 days is probably all you need if you're not seeing the dolphins (then maybe 3, tops).

#4 gregmccann1 has been a member since 28/10/2009. Location: Taiwan. Posts: 185

Posted by Nisseyaklom on 6/3/2014 at 18:51

Enter Cambodia at Koh Kong and go to Siahoukville for some days at the beach, then Phnom Penh for at least five days, go north to Battambang, when you done, go toSiem Reap. From SR you take the new north road to Banlung, then exit Cambodia at O'Yadao-Le Than.

One hour from the border you have Pleikku with daily flights to Hanoi, HCM and Danang.

#5 Nisseyaklom has been a member since 2/12/2007. Posts: 40

Posted by katieandchris on 7/3/2014 at 14:18

Thanks all for the help.
We will be going to Laos after Vietnam so we can always see the Mekong/dolphins from there.

#6 katieandchris has been a member since 28/7/2013. Posts: 12

Posted by Bridgequeen on 7/3/2014 at 14:54

Indeed I saw the dolphins from Laos recently and "saw" is something of a euphemism. Don't forget to get your Vietnam visa in Phnom Penh or Sihanoukville.Also, make sure you see the circus in Battambang. I would agree that Eastwest's itinerary makes the most sense.

#7 Bridgequeen has been a member since 29/7/2013. Location: Earth. Posts: 55

Posted by amnicoll on 8/3/2014 at 07:59

Sianoukville is the best place for vietnamese visa fast and efficient

#8 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 971

Posted by AbigailatPenhandInk on 25/3/2014 at 03:36 TF writer

Also don't forget that as you'll be around over Christmas, lots of expats like to get away to the beach about that time, too. Recommended that you book ahead for island accommodation in particular.

For places like Kratie and Battambang, you probably don't need to worry about advance reservations.

#9 AbigailatPenhandInk has been a member since 9/11/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 178

Posted by amnicoll on 28/3/2014 at 06:02

Poipet a beautiful Cambodian town!!!!!! Treat above with great caution I would run a mile from anyone who can decribe Poipet like this, and beware he is touting

#10 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 971

Posted by Yorkshire_Kiwi on 29/3/2014 at 11:02

I was advised to stay a long way away from Poipet from various people. Sounds very sleazy and full on scams! Definitely sounds like a tout.

#11 Yorkshire_Kiwi has been a member since 8/2/2014. Posts: 31

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.