Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Malaria in Cambodia

Posted by heytoki on 2/4/2014 at 04:05

Hi,

Probably there is already a post talking about Malaria in Cambodia, however i couldnt find anything.

I am going to Cambodia in two weeks to spend 18 days. I have been just advised my doctor that all throughout Cambodia there is risk of Malaria (apart from Phon Phem and Angkor).

I know that it is my decisison to take the tablets or not but, is Cambodia a really high risk country for Malaria? In two weeks i will be going from Phon Phem to Koh Rong and then Siemp Reap.

Would you take the tablets?

Thanks

#1 heytoki has been a member since 20/3/2014. Posts: 4

Posted by qifitness on 2/4/2014 at 04:19

Do you mean "Would I take the advice of my doctor?"
Or
"Is there anyone here better qualified than my doctor to advise me?"

#2 qifitness has been a member since 3/6/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 2/4/2014 at 04:40

99% of doctors have never been there and tell u based on website links.

Btw gps are not experts in diseases like malaria.

Tablets can make u sick
Malaria makes u sick

For a short trip.i wouldnt take them. Tablets are easy to get in sea.

#3 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 2/4/2014 at 04:49

Lonely planet does a good write up on malaria in cambodia

2 sec google search

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by amnicoll on 2/4/2014 at 05:24

It all depends on where you go - you only need one bite from an infected mosquito personally I use doxycyline which I buy in Thailand for peanuts as I spend a lot of time near the jungle. Most of the cities certainly no need

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 686

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 2/4/2014 at 08:25

Doxy treats acne and other bacteria and has been linked to increased suicide numbers.

#6 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by amnicoll on 3/4/2014 at 05:22

yes but it is also one of the drugs recommended for cambodia against malaria

#7 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 686

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 3/4/2014 at 09:14

Well yes but for short touristy trips there is no.need for malaria tablets. Better to cover up. Dengue is a bigger.problem when there is no treatment.

#8 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by antoniamitchell on 3/4/2014 at 12:50

Travelfish published an article on Malaria in Cambodia back in 2012:
https://www.travelfish.org/blogs/cambodia/2012/01/26/is-malaria-a-risk-for-travellers-to-cambodia/

If you need/want more info, this CDC page is a good resource - it covers how much risk there is to tourists:
http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/country_table/c.html

Cambodia is not a high-risk destination for Malaria, but it's not zero risk either. Some tourists will take pills, but plenty won't. I'm afraid there's no "right" answer as you have to decide what's best for you, based upon where you're traveling and what you'll be doing there (camping in the jungle, for example, carries more risk than sleeping in a hotel room or guesthouse with screens on the windows and aircon or a mosquito net).

If you can't make up your mind in consultation with your GP, then you might want to talk to a reputable travel doctor (I say reputable, rather than one of the ones that recommend you have everything because they sell you everything).

Good luck, and have fun

#9 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 499
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by JaiYen88 on 5/4/2014 at 06:31

If you aren't planning on spending extended periods of time in the jungle or in very poor rural areas then I wouldn't bother. I have never met a foreigner living in SE Asia who recommends anti-malarials for regular tourism. Dengue fever is an actual, serious risk but it doesn't receive much attention because there are no pills that can be sold to you to protect against it.

Cover up with long sleeves and trousers at night and use a spray. I like lemon eucalyptus or citronella products - they're not as poisonous as DEET and smell nice!

#10 JaiYen88 has been a member since 25/4/2012. Posts: 110

Posted by ThaiStick on 23/4/2014 at 04:11

I recently spent nine days in Banteay Chmar Village, Banteay Meanchey Province. A very rural and jungly area. During those nine days I was bitten by mosquitoes numerous times. I did not become sick.

#11 ThaiStick has been a member since 17/4/2013. Posts: 20

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.