Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Dengue in Cambodia

Posted by Geer1 on 2/5/2014 at 23:28

Some guy just made a post asking what to do if he gets Dengue in Cambodia but for some reason it was deleted while I was replying. I don't feel like wasting my reply so here it is.

Wear long pants, long shirts and use mosquito spray if you are noticing mosquitos. Pay attention and ask if Dengue is epidemic at the moment and if it is be extra cautious on avoiding mosquitos. If they say it is safe at the moment still exercise caution as it is always possible.

If you come down with a high fever get to a hospital to have it checked out. The best hospital in Cambodia(and the only one that I know of being any good) is Siem Reap's Royal Angkor International Hospital. From a report I saw it isn't that cheap so make sure you have travellers insurance. If you have a high fever and haven't been to a hospital yet don't take ibuprofen or aspirin as these increase your risk of serious complications(due to thinning your blood). Paracetamol(acetominophen)/tylenol is a better choice.

If diagnosed with Dengue find a good guesthouse to stay at and plan to be there for close to a week in order to recover. You will be very tired and sore for a few days and won't feel like doing much other then sleeping. You will get a rash at some point that will drive you nuts but it is a good sign as it means you are getting better.

I had Dengue while in Laos and honestly it sucks but I knew right away I had either Dengue or Malaria as I had never had a fever that high before. Had crazy high fever for 2 days, tired and achy for another 3-4 days after that. My first symptoms hit in Muang Ngoi which was 2 full days travel to a decent hospital(Vientiane), not fun at all with a 40 degree fever... At least in Cambodia you are always at most only a day's travel from Siem Reap.

#1 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 2/5/2014 at 23:43 admin

@Geer1 - the author reported their post twice -- so I deleted it -- assumedly right around when you were answering. I don't know why they flagged it. Some people do it occasionally.

Thanks for the answer anyways.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.