Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

English Speaking Guide

Posted by archiebaby on 13/9/2007 at 04:41

Hello, there are 2 of us travelling to Siem Reap & PP & would like a personal guide for 4 days, what is the best way to find a local & how much should I pay?
Im travelling in the last week of October 07, many thanks

#1 archiebaby has been a member since 12/9/2007. Posts: 22

Posted by namaste970 on 14/9/2007 at 14:40

We were in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh in Janary '06. We used Sopheak who was wonderful. He also guided some of my friends last January.He got us a car and driver to Phnom Penh since he was booked after our three days. I think it was around $20/day with a car, but check with him. Tell him Sharon from Telluride, Colorado recommended him.

Here's his info: chhim sopheak .
English speaking guide/driver siem reap of cambodia,
H/P 012 97 81 07 ,( 855 ) 12 97 81 07
chhim_sopheak@hotmail.com

#2 namaste970 has been a member since 18/12/2005. Posts: 8

Posted by namaste970 on 14/9/2007 at 14:40

We were in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh in Janary '06. We used Sopheak who was wonderful. He also guided some of my friends last January.He got us a car and driver to Phnom Penh since he was booked after our three days. I think it was around $20/day with a car, but check with him. Tell him Sharon from Telluride, Colorado recommended him.

#3 namaste970 has been a member since 18/12/2005. Posts: 8

Posted by namaste970 on 14/9/2007 at 14:41

#4 namaste970 has been a member since 18/12/2005. Posts: 8

Posted by Roving_Roo on 17/9/2007 at 02:26

Good English speaking tour guide $25 per day.

Normally tour guides do not have their own transport so you would need to take a driver as well, as there are two of you you would need a large tuk tuk (from $10 per day) or an air con car (from $20 per day). If you do find a tour guide with their own transport they may be more expensive due to having to pay for the transport as well. I doubt you will find a tour guide prepared to travel between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh with you, but I'm sure they would be able to recommend someone in the second city for you.

#5 Roving_Roo has been a member since 9/1/2006. Posts: 45
 Send Roving_Roo a private message 

Posted by drlang946 on 11/10/2007 at 09:01

As Rolving_Roo said above your guide in one location can recommend one in your next - I have found they can have quite a network going.

Last trip I chatted to the taxi driver on the way to the PP airport that we were heading up to siem Reap, he asked if we had a driver/guide. we told him no we would look into getting one when we arrived. Upon arrival at the Siem Reap airport we saw a taxi driver holding a card with our names outside the door at the taxi point. Apparently our taxi driver in PP had taken the liberty to call his friend and tip him off that we were arriving without pre-arranged transport/guide.

#6 drlang946 has been a member since 8/7/2007. Posts: 11

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.