Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Is Phnom Penh worth the effort at the end of a long trip?

Posted by baza on 2/6/2014 at 20:24

We are taking our 4 children from NZ on a 19 day trip starting in Vietnam going from Sapa, Halong Bay & Hanoi through Hue and Hoi an down to the Mekong Delta. We then fly across to Siem Reap (to see Angkor Wat etc) from Ho Chi Minh city before heading back to NZ.
My husband now wants to see Phnom Penh (just for a day he says!) as well as going to Siem Reap (which we have already booked to do).
Our children are likely to be getting tired of travelling by this point and I have read some mixed opinions on the merits of Phnom Penh on this site. Also, looking at pictures of it, I wonder how different the mix of French and traditional architecture will be in Phnom Penh when compared with Hanoi.
In the opinion of the many seasoned travellers on this site (we have never been anywhere in Southeast Asia before), is Phnom Penh worth the extra travel time and effort for a day's visit? Thanks

#1 baza has been a member since 2/6/2014. Posts: 4

Posted by MADMAC on 2/6/2014 at 20:46

You don't have time, and one day is two days. You got to get there. I wouldn't even be going to Siem Reap or Saigon if I were you. For the time you have I would have stayed in Northern Vietnam or just stayed in Cambodia. Forget the kids - you're gonna be tired.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by amnicoll on 3/6/2014 at 05:51

Yes I agree forget Phnom Phen

Find a nice hotel in Siem Reap with swimming pool and if you get tired of the temples you have somewhere nice to relax

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 757
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by Turkishpizza on 3/6/2014 at 06:29

I would just stay in Vietnam. Asian cities can look similar and one part of Vietnam offers enough for 19 days.

#4 Turkishpizza has been a member since 11/5/2014. Posts: 40
 Send Turkishpizza a private message 

Posted by amnicoll on 3/6/2014 at 06:36

i would have said the same as you turkishpizza but for the fact they have already booked to go to Siem reap AND that this is their first trip to SEA and despite what Siem Reap may be like these days the temples are still spectacular

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 757
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by Turkishpizza on 3/6/2014 at 06:43

I can see the kids complaining the whole way. Kids dont get temples and history.

#6 Turkishpizza has been a member since 11/5/2014. Posts: 40
 Send Turkishpizza a private message 

Posted by cbg0927 on 4/6/2014 at 00:22

Echoing what others have said, that's a lot of ground to cover in 19 days. I'd personally save Cambodia for next time. But, seeing as your flight is booked to Siem Reap, I'd opt to stay there and not see Phnom Penh.

#7 cbg0927 has been a member since 30/7/2013. Location: United States. Posts: 62
 Send cbg0927 a private message   Where has cbg0927 been? 

Posted by baza on 4/6/2014 at 01:57

Thank you so much to everyone for taking the time to give your opinions. It has been really helpful.

#8 baza has been a member since 2/6/2014. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.