Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Bringing a motorbike to the islands?

Posted by cbg0927 on 3/6/2014 at 20:08

I'll be traveling Cambodia by bike and would love to see a couple of the Cambodian islands (Rong, Rong Saloem, perhaps Takiev). Could anyone suggest what I oughta do with my bike? Could I bring it across to the islands? Should I try and leave it somewhere in Sihanoukville? (yikes)

#1 cbg0927 has been a member since 30/7/2013. Location: United States. Posts: 62
 Send cbg0927 a private message   Where has cbg0927 been? 

Posted by AbigailatPenhandInk on 22/6/2014 at 01:12 TF writer

There are few or no roads on the islands. Those that there are are rough tracks created for construction lorries, and tricky to ride on. The ferries are passenger boats, not drive-on vehicle ones. I suggest you find a guesthouse in Sihanoukville with parking (probably have more luck with a Khmer-owned place), stay there a couple of days and ask if you can leave your bike there. Buy a chain and padlock and offer to pay for the service. Did the same with my bike last year, and it was still there when I returned!

#2 AbigailatPenhandInk has been a member since 9/11/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 179
 Send AbigailatPenhandInk a private message   Website 

Posted by comtam3000 on 22/6/2014 at 01:47

OP here, Thanks @Abigalatpenhandink.

Just to update anyone who might have the same question: absolutely zero reason to bring your bike to the islands (nor is it a possibility). I don't think I realized just how small they'd be. Left my bike at "wish you were here" hostel on Otres Beach, and it was there in one piece when I returned!

#3 comtam3000 has been a member since 4/6/2014. Location: United States. Posts: 72
 Send comtam3000 a private message   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.