Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Homestays

Posted by Morganj24 on 15/9/2014 at 08:57

I'm currently researching for my SE Asia trip next year. Reading through the Lonely Planet SE Asia on a shoestring book and I'm liking the idea of getting involved in a homestay within each country just so I can fully immerse myself in the culture.

The first homestay recommendation I have come across in the book is no more I've had a Google but am reluctant to go with anything that I've not had recommended.

So if anyone can recommend any homestay throughout SE Asia let me know.

Thanks in advance

#1 Morganj24 has been a member since 15/9/2014. Posts: 5

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by gregmccann1 on 18/10/2014 at 03:27

Do Yok, a Tampuan highlander up in Ratanakiri province, can arrange homestays in the villages outside Ban Lung. Here is a link to his web site. If you trek in Virachey National Park you'll spend at least one night in the highlander villages north of the Sesan River. It's damn good fun.

#2 gregmccann1 has been a member since 28/10/2009. Location: Taiwan. Posts: 185
 Send gregmccann1 a private message   Website 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by amnicoll on 20/10/2014 at 06:38

Hello again,

I can only offer the same advice as I gave on Lonely Planet a moth ago

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 962
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by magicFly on 20/10/2014 at 10:07

Hi,

rana homestay and obt (at obt you can do some volunteering if you want to) have good reputation, what I heard from other travellers. Both are at Kampong cham province. As already mentioned there are some minority homestays near Banlung and in Ratanakiri province

#4 magicFly has been a member since 13/7/2014. Posts: 61
 Where has magicFly been? 

Posted by qifitness on 5/11/2014 at 09:51

I can really recommend the Meas Family homestay, south of Phnom Penh:
http://cambodianhomestay.com/

Had a wonderful stay there last year and going back for longer this December.
It's in the countryside, well away from tourist areas. Wonderful hosts and peaceful location.
Also, the opportunity to get involved with local children in the daily activities organised there.

#5 qifitness has been a member since 3/6/2012. Posts: 9
 Send qifitness a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.