Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Doctors/Medical Care in Siem Reap

Posted by whitl019 on 28/10/2014 at 00:49

Hello,
This post is for all tourist traveling in the Siem Reap, Cambodia area. If you need non-urgent, non-life threatening medical care, then please let me recommend 2 different physicians you may see, as well as, offer my experiences using the medical services in Siem Reap.

First, I recommend Dr. Ian Ferguson at the British Khmer Clinic. He is a British trained and certified physician living and operating in Siem Reap. He has lab services available to diagnose most ailments and will have the tests back the following day. I came in at 4:00 p.m. for a STI, sexually transmitted infection, check-up and received an email with my test results & treatment recommendations before 8 a.m. the morning following my exam. His prices are extremely fair for both residents and tourists. For any medical issues, that are not life threatening, he is my first recommendation.
Second, is the physician at the Naga Clinic in Siem Reap. I forget his name, but his is Dutch and I have visited him twice. Once for a lung infection and once for a soar throat. He is very competent and well able to diagnose your ailments. Some people find his demeanor to be a off-putting, but I like him and think he's a funny fellow. His prices are also very reasonable, but I still recommend Dr. Ferguson and his British Khmer Clinic first.
Last, for emergency issues only, I recommend the Royal Angkor Hospital. I only recommend them for serious conditions, like a broken bone or something like that. Even with a serious condition you will wait until you have completed their forms and verified your method of payment. I visit them with a fever of 40 degrees C, a blinding headache, and light sensitivity. I waited 45-60 minutes to see a physician. They ran blood tests for dengue fever and malaria, while giving my an IV paracetamol drip to control the fever. I was negative for both dengue and malaria, but had an elevated white blood count (WBC). They sent me home with tablet paracetamol and multivitamins, but did not diagnose the cause of my elevated WBC. My bill was in excess of $400, with a $150 charge just to see a physician. I have been told that they give a $30 commission to guesthouses and hotels to direct tourists to their hospital. Please be warned that they provide no better services than the British Khmer Clinic or the Naga Clinic. Also, I had to visit the Naga Clinic a week after this visit because I was still stick. The Dutch doctor at the Naga Clinic diagnosed me with a lung infection, prescribed antibiotics, and after finishing the course I was back to normal.
At both the British Khmer Clinic and the Naga Clinic you will pay roughly $50, plus the cost of tests. I recommend the both well above the Royal Angkor International Hospital.

#1 whitl019 has been a member since 28/10/2014. Posts: 1

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.