Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Where to stay in Siem Reap? Should activities be booked ahead?

Posted by remsam on 8/11/2014 at 23:11

I am visiting Siem Reap for 5 nights next month with my mother and could really use some advice about where to stay and what to reserve ahead of time. My mom and I will be there around Christmas time (which I know is high season). Should I try to reserve any day tours, activities (bike tours, cooking classes, etc), or tuk-tuk drivers ahead or just wait until I arrive?

I have done a huge amount of reading about areas and different hotels I'm having a really hard time making a final decision. There seem to be an almost endless number of well-reviewed hotels and guesthouses and it's difficult to get a sense of which area of town will be most enjoyable.

I am looking for a friendly and welcoming hotel or guesthouse that is well located in the $30-$45 per night range, with nice rooms, attractive common areas, connected with good tuk-tuk drivers, quiet at night, and (ideally) walking distance to restaurants and activities. An (included) good breakfast is certainly a bonus.

I'm not sure my mom and I will enjoy being close to the night-market (obviously walking distance to restaurants and activities but maybe too loud and frenetic), in Wat Bo (walking distance but quieter from what I've read), or outside of downtown (probably more relaxing but having to rely on tuk-tuks could get annoying).

I have narrowed my search down to the places below (and even have reservations that I can cancel with a few). I would greatly appreciate any advice or thoughts!

Golden Butterfly Villa
Parent Heritage Angkor Villa
Frangipani Villa Hotel
Shadow Angkor Villa
Motherhome Inn
Golden Mango Inn

#1 remsam has been a member since 26/3/2014. Posts: 5

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by mixxat on 9/11/2014 at 07:25

Making reservation one day before tour is enough.

#2 mixxat has been a member since 29/4/2012. Location: Other. Posts: 42
 Send mixxat a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Muggles01 on 10/11/2014 at 08:25

If it helps - I stayed at the Frangipani Villa hotel (in Wat Bo - I think there are 2?) in 2011 and loved it. It is definitely quieter because it's a bit further from the markets etc (over the river, in fact). Definitely within walking distance (probably 10 mins?) however in the evenings we were generally knackered and took a tuk-tuk back - after a morning of tramping around ruins and an evening of trawling the markets it was just that much too far. It was a lovely hotel though - quiet, clean, nice pool area, very sweet staff and plenty common areas. I'm fairly sure your mom would like it. Whatever you decide, just choose a place with a pool - you'll need it!

I can't say for certain how far in advance you should book but my experience in general in SE Asia has been that the day before is fine.

#3 Muggles01 has been a member since 15/7/2011. Posts: 18

Posted by travistravelgea on 22/12/2014 at 22:53

The Cashew Nut Guest house is situated only 10 minutes walk away from Siem Reap s lively markets and the restaurant district but it still maintains a very friendly local feel about it. A perfect place to base yourself during your stay in Siem Reap.

Babel Siem Reap GuesthouseLocated in the popular Wat Bo area this European managed Hotel/Guesthouse offers attractive rooms with ensuite bathrooms, hot water, A/C or fan and cable TV. Most importantly the western style beds provide a good night's sleep, essential after a long day's sightseeing or partying.
The Siem Reap Hostel
Angkor’s original full-on backpacker hostel is pretty slick. The dorms are well tended and the rooms are definitely flashpacker, and include breakfast too. There is a lively bar-restaurant and a covered pool, plus a well-organised travel desk.

European Guesthouse
Fun and friendly, the rooms are well presented, the dorms are a bargain and the garden a good place to relax. The European is a member of local NGO networks Childsafe and ConCERT and supports projects like the White Bicycles.

#4 travistravelgea has been a member since 20/12/2014. Posts: 9
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.