Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

8 day itinerary entering cambodia from saigon

Posted by nathan6993 on 1/12/2014 at 09:01

Hello all,
My partner and I are spending 8 days in cambodia after 14 days in vietnam. What is the best route for an 8 day stay? We would like to spend time In sen monorom, battambang, siem reapkep,koh rong, phon phem.
Thanks for you're help

#1 nathan6993 has been a member since 26/11/2014. Posts: 8

Heading to Thailand?
Heading to Thailand?
Ad Search for cheap flights to Thailand
on Skyscanner.

skyscanner.com

Read more

Posted by caseyprich on 1/12/2014 at 13:14

I think that is a lot to do in 8 days. One recommendation I'd give is to fly from HCMC to Siem Reap , spend about 3 nights there and then go to Battambang for 2 nights, you could then have 3 nights in PP. I really don't think you can see Kep , Koh Rong and Sen Monorom(?) in that short time. Most people would recommend 3 full days in Siem Reap for temple viewing, you could get away with 2 full days if you are really in a rush. Anything less isn't going to feel worth it, you'll feel you are rushing off too soon.

If you really want to go down to Kep/Kampot (I loved Kampot, thought Kep was a bit dull) then I'd say if you include going through Can Tho to Ha Tien as part of your Vietnam time you could overland into Kep/Kampot (3 nights), then take a bus up to PP (2 nights) and then a bus up to Siem Reap for the temples (3 nights). These are long distances and so I wouldn't recommend anything less then a 2 night stop since your first day will be spent on travel.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by nathan6993 on 1/12/2014 at 13:45

Thanks for the advice! I could miss out kep as kean to go to koh rong and spend atleast 3 days in siem reap/ angkor. Any more suggestions for a route from hcmc?

#3 nathan6993 has been a member since 26/11/2014. Posts: 8

Posted by caseyprich on 2/12/2014 at 16:01

I'm not sure where you are flying out of the region from at the end of your trip - PP, BKK, HCMC???

One option from HCMC would be to fly to Siem Reap (3), then work backwards, taking a very long ride down to Koh Rong (2 nights) from Siem Reap on an overnight bus (1 night). Then you can head back to PP for 2 nights. Even that is a bit of a stretch on your time constraints and will involve at least one major long-haul transport, a flight and a fairly long day on the bus from Koh Rong back to PP. So you've got 3 full days eaten up in travel.

#4 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281

Posted by nathan6993 on 3/12/2014 at 14:21

Thanks for the reply.I am flying out from bangkok.so looking to go from hcmc-CAMBODIA 8-10 days then bangkoka

#5 nathan6993 has been a member since 26/11/2014. Posts: 8

Posted by caseyprich on 3/12/2014 at 14:28

With only 8 days and wanting to see the beach you've got a stretch. Your best bet is probably to go directly from HCMC to Koh Rong , that will stop you most likely in PP for a connection and eat up an entire day on the bus. Then you've got 3 nights in Koh Rong (that means two days to relax there) and up to PP by bus again on what would be your fourth day in Cambodia. It'll take the better part of a day to get between PP and Siem Reap (so count ahead that as a fifth day). You've also got the day you are leaving Cambodia (a sixth day). That leaves you with 2-4 days between PP and Siem Reap depending on if you are staying 8-10 days.

#6 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281

Posted by nathan6993 on 3/12/2014 at 14:33

Is phon phem worthwhile or would you suggest more time in siem instead?

#7 nathan6993 has been a member since 26/11/2014. Posts: 8

Posted by caseyprich on 4/12/2014 at 18:06

I think if you are interested in the history of Cambodia it is very much worthwhile. At least one day to visit the Killing Fields in the morning (An excellent audio tour) and then S-21 Tuol Sleng in the afternoon. I'd also recommend a visit to the National Museum, it puts the art that you'll be seeing in Siem Reap into a different perspective, though I actually liked visiting the museum after having been to Siem Reap and a few other temple locations. The night life is interesting, as are the markets and certain parts of town are worth exploring as well. It is, after all, the capital of the country so it has much to offer.

#8 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.