Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Community health volunteering

Posted by DrDreidal on 7/12/2014 at 10:32

Hi all,

This is my first post here and I'm excited to have joined such a lovely travel community!

My girlfriend and I recently booked tickets for a 6 month trip through SEA.

We want to spend about one month volunteering in Cambodia. We want to be able to add something to the community where we will be staying, instead of potentially taking away opportunities from the local populace.

I'm very interested in community health and health disparities and am looking to hopefully help implement new health programs and education during my time volunteering.

My girlfriend is a preschool teacher at home and is interested in teaching English or just teaching anything while helping chasten hold on to important traditional values.

Has anyone had any experiences in Cambodia doing short term community health and teaching volunteer work?

Thank you so much!

#1 DrDreidal has been a member since 30/11/2014. Posts: 15

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by Nisseyaklom on 11/12/2014 at 17:56

Read this http://www.movetocambodia.com/working-in-cambodia/volunteering-in-cambodia/

#2 Nisseyaklom has been a member since 2/12/2007. Posts: 40
 Website 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by buster80 on 15/1/2015 at 15:04

Hi,

You should get in touch with Build Your Future Today, they are based in Siem Reap, I volunteered 2 years ago with them and can highly recommend them. They are always looking for medical and teaching volunteers.

Happy Travels x

#3 buster80 has been a member since 16/4/2010. Posts: 5
 Send buster80 a private message 

Posted by DrDreidal on 15/1/2015 at 17:25

Buster80,

Thanks for sharing the link!

What did you work on while volunteering with them and for how long? I've read a lot about the pros and cons to volunteering and want to make sure I'm only making a positive impact for only being there a month.

#4 DrDreidal has been a member since 30/11/2014. Posts: 15

Posted by buster80 on 16/1/2015 at 03:50

BFT has been established for a while now and previous volunteers have created various lessons on topics such as sanitation, hygiene, nutrition etc. My role was to assist with these lessons in the villages they support, provide medical advice, first aid and distribute any medcines if required.
Depending on your expertise in community health and what skills you feel you can bring to help surely would have a positive impact regardless on how long you are there for. I suppose it also depends on how many medical volunteers they have at the time you plan to go.

I will be there again next month so drop me a private message if you have any further questions.

#5 buster80 has been a member since 16/4/2010. Posts: 5
 Send buster80 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.