Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Travel bookings within Cambodia got easier

Posted by johntrotter on 4/2/2015 at 21:10

Hi
I wanted to summarise some recent events that have made travel within Cambodia much easier. These are launch of 3 new domestic airlines and a bus ticket booking website.

1. Domestic Airlines launched - Bayon Airlines, Bassaka Air and Apsara Air have been recently launched and Cambodia now has four domestic airlines including the existing Cambodia Angkor Air

http://bayonairlines.com

http://bassakair.com/

http://apsara-airline.com

Payment systems are a bit patchy (the last I checked they didn't have payment gateway integrations) so best to call them for bookings or check FB pages. The fares however are very competitive at the moment as they have been launched recently so make the best of low ticket fares.

2. Bus ticket aggregator and booking website - Camboticket.com have partnered with most of the relevant bus operators (Giant, Mekong, Golden Bayon) and allow search and booking bus tickets and accept online payments. Bookings are instantaneous and e-tickets get delivered via email. Prices are lower than what you get via hotels or agents. I think this is an excellent initiative and have used them multiple times since their launch. Excellent customer service too

https://www.camboticket.com/

Happy to answer any specific questions. Hope this helps

#1 johntrotter has been a member since 4/2/2015. Posts: 2

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by amnicoll on 5/2/2015 at 05:06

having just checked the bus service from Koh Kong to PP (there were no services listed to Sianoukeville) I was not at all impressed with only one of the 4 or 5 operators listed and fares well over the normal fare for Cambodians let alone foreigners who are charged more

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 962
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by johntrotter on 5/2/2015 at 11:54

I am no expert on koh kong but know that hardly any of the top operators do that route. The only other operator (not counting the dodgy minivans as operators) is vireak buntham who arguably have the worst safety record among the established / big operators.

Regarding your observation on fares I think you are totally wrong. I know that these guys charge exactly what the bus companies charge via their official agents and definitely lower than what the numerous dodgy agents and hotels charge. Also, perhaps you are not aware of the market practice but most (vast majority) of operators have different prices for locals and foreigners. This is not the websites policy but rather dictated by market. Doubt if you can fault that - at least they have been upfront about it on the landing page.
They are a new startup and I think they serve a need in the market and hopefully will cover more destinations and add more operators.

#3 johntrotter has been a member since 4/2/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/2/2015 at 14:38 admin

There are a few start-ups in this field -- here are the results from 12GoAsia (who Travelfish works with) but they don't offer sale of tickets on this route. Johntrotter - are you associated with the startup?

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,022
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by amnicoll on 6/2/2015 at 04:44

John -you are sadly misinformed about the bus services from Koh Kong and as I said there are at least 4 bus companies including Sorya who have a good reputation (and yes I do know the difference between a bus and a mini van)

As for the fare I would expect to pay around $6 on the bus not $10 direct from their office (only mugs buy from their guesthouse)

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 962
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by pat_123 on 19/2/2015 at 04:39

I used Rithy Mony from PP-SR last month and they charged me 7$ at their office. Previously I have been charged 8$ as well for the same trip. Going by that experience, the prices looks ok to me. Also, Mekong and Giant IBIS prices are also same as what's being offered in their offices. Hence, I don't think they are overcharging.

After spending my last 2 years, I feel that it's a good initiative and a much needed one. Especially in a country like Cambodia where there is no public bus station and people have to either reply on agents (who can scam you big time) or else run from one bus company office to another to get a good deal, CamboTicket is addressing a real problem.

#6 pat_123 has been a member since 7/2/2015. Posts: 4
 Send pat_123 a private message 

Posted by michien on 1/3/2015 at 22:37

I have just used the service and it work smoothly but doesn't list any services from Kampot - PP

#7 michien has been a member since 1/11/2007. Posts: 37

Posted by pat_123 on 13/3/2015 at 00:11

I see that they have Giant IBIS listed for Kampot - Phnom Penh route. It's a growing startup so hopefully they should have more options going forward.

#8 pat_123 has been a member since 7/2/2015. Posts: 4
 Send pat_123 a private message 

Posted by michien on 30/3/2015 at 20:21

Hi all,

Happy to report I am currently sitting on a VGS mini-bus on the way from PP to SR booked thru Camboticket. Price was $12, which is in the mid-range of pricing from what I can gather. The whole booking and boarding process was as smooth as can be and in fact I had originally booked on the wrong day (my mistake) but they quickly reissued a ticket at no cost. Can't ask for much more than that!

#9 michien has been a member since 1/11/2007. Posts: 37

This discussion has been locked by a moderator.