Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Reserve ahead?

Posted by Olivcar on 13/4/2015 at 10:07

I am planing a trip to Thailand and Cambodia for January and February 2016. We are looking for flashpacker to midrange guesthouses or hotels. I have looked around on Agoda and Booking.com and so many of my choices say "Not available for those dates." (ie; Kampot) I know it is high season but is it possible that these places are already booked up for next year? Is it necessary or advisable to make reservations ASAP? I traveled in Thailand many years ago and it was fine to arrive and just look for a place. Must I reserve ahead now? Have others just arrived and looked for a hotel?

#1 Olivcar has been a member since 18/3/2015. Posts: 9

Heading to Thailand?
Heading to Thailand?
Ad Search for cheap flights to Thailand
on Skyscanner.

skyscanner.com

Read more

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/4/2015 at 19:50 admin

Hi,

There are a lot more places in Kampot and Kep than are what are listed on Agoda and Booking. I'd suggest contacting some of the places directly to see if they have availability and also, even over Xmas, I can't imagine Kampot being 100% full. The online agents may be showing no availability yet cause the guesthouses haven't loaded it up yet.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,022
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by TerroirTravel on 15/4/2015 at 12:25

Hi- I think the problem is not that they are booked up, it's that they may not be taking reservations that far out.

My personal experience being the Cambodia in the "winter" months, is that you'll need some planning around Tet, but otherwise, you can wing it, or plan a first night in a new place, then look around.

#3 TerroirTravel has been a member since 1/2/2014. Posts: 76
 Where has TerroirTravel been? 

Posted by stek on 21/4/2015 at 21:05

It is high season so at least phone ahead

#4 stek has been a member since 23/11/2014. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.