Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Planes, boats or automobiles...

Posted by sunlvr on 16/5/2015 at 08:35

My travel buddy just added Phnom Penh to our travel plans, so I'm trying to find the best way to integrate this and still see everything else we wanted. Just for the experience of it we wanted to try to use as many ways of transportation as possible. So.... what would be your recommended way of travel from PP to SR? I see our options are plane, boat or bus. This will be in mid- October and we only have 2 weeks total and after SR we are going on to Laos. Thanks for any and all input.

#1 sunlvr has been a member since 7/8/2014. Posts: 37

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by JimTokay on 17/5/2015 at 03:19

Plane is of course fastest and most expensive but you don't see anything. Boat is fun but in my opinion gets old fast- bumpy and very noisy.
Personally I always take bus (Giant Ibis bus only), it is long drive (7h) but it is comfortable bus with air conditioner and WIFI and have stops on the way to stretch legs. If you have more questions- I will be happy to help.

#2 JimTokay has been a member since 11/5/2015. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 7
 Send JimTokay a private message   Where has JimTokay been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by sunlvr on 17/5/2015 at 06:06

Thanks Jim! I looked at Giant Ibis and it looked like it would be pretty comfortable. Regarding boats, would you have anyone that you recommend? Do you we need to make reservations on boat or bus much in advance or can it be day before? Also, with it being the tail end of rainy season what can I expect weather wise? It will be mid- end of October when we are there. Of my 1,000 questions these are a few. :) Thanks!

#3 sunlvr has been a member since 7/8/2014. Posts: 37

Posted by JimTokay on 21/5/2015 at 09:27

Sorry it took so long to answer I was traveling around Cambodia myself.
First of all; I would not recommend boat at all- to noisy, very bumpy, hot on the top and not much to see. Mid October should be fine to get tickets 1-2 days before but better safe then sorry, get them early. Whether is still warm, occasionally hot and some rain. Some days could be heavy rain 1-2h and very nice after that. Feel free to ask rest of your 1000 questions, I am happy to answer.

#4 JimTokay has been a member since 11/5/2015. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 7
 Send JimTokay a private message   Where has JimTokay been? 

Posted by TerroirTravel on 21/5/2015 at 19:15

Hi,

The boat between pp and sr is a leaky tin can hurtling down the river. It's crowded inside, so most grab some metal above deck and end up pretty burnt.

That said, I did it from SR to PP, and while I wouldn't do it again, I'd recommend it once. Wear light clothing that covers, and a hat, and sunscreen, and enjoy the ride and the view.

More from the man in seat 61, including a video- scroll to the bottom.

http://www.seat61.com/Cambodia.htm#Siem%20Reap

#5 TerroirTravel has been a member since 1/2/2014. Posts: 76
 Where has TerroirTravel been? 

Posted by sunlvr on 14/7/2015 at 18:47

Thanks TerroirTravel! I think we will be trying the boat, I think it's one of those things that should be experienced once. :)
JimTokay, thanks for the further information, I appreciate it! Any recommendations on lodging in PP and SR? We are looking for lower to mid range guesthouses/hotels. No 12 room bunkhouses. Would like something with a little atmosphere. I went on Agoda and all the choices are pretty overwhelming since I have no idea what part of each city would be best to stay in. We will be in PP Oct.19 and 20, then SR Oct 21-25. 3 people looking for two rooms. $40/night or less per room. Thanks again!

#6 sunlvr has been a member since 7/8/2014. Posts: 37

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.