Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

The Elephant Valley Project in Sen Monorom, Mondulkiri

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/5/2015 at 17:14 admin

If you're considering a trip up to Sen Monorom, the following stories may be of interest regarding what sounds to be ongoing issues with elephants & vested interests there.

Interesting piece on the EVP and locals being offside with it. (2013)

This earlier piece by a travel blogger also worth a read - esp some of the comments: (2013)

and a followup piece on an elephant "trek" they did do. (2013)

Another piece by another travel blogger (2014)

And our piece on the centre, and elephant trekking in Cambodia in general, from 2012.

Sounds like something has been on slow burn for a while.

Elephants: It's complicated.

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by Lisa_A on 21/5/2015 at 06:12

It is now even more complicated in Sen Monorom with the arrival of two new elephant sanctuaries.

I decided to visit the Mondulkiri Project (http://www.mondulkiriproject.org) instead of EVP because it is owned by a Khmer man, Mr Tree. I would rather any profits from ecotourism in Cambodia to remain in Cambodia rather than end up in the bank account of an englishman. I was also concerned that three elephants have died at the EVP.

The Mondulkiri Project has three elephants full time at its sanctuary and protects a large area of forest from logging and rubber plantations. All its staff are Bunong from the local hill tribes rather than Westerners.

I had a great time on the tour. Mr Tree talks about the goals of his project and knows a lot about elephants and bunong culture. Feeding and watching elephants walk freely around the jungle is the best way to spend time with elephants. The elephants all appear very healthy and eat and eat and eat from the abundant bamboo growing in the sanctuary.

The highlight was washing one of the elephants at a waterfall deep in the jungle.

Go and visit Mr Tree and his Mondulkiri Project elephant sanctuary - you will have an amazing time and your money will help support this new sanctuary rent more elephants in the future.

#2 Lisa_A has been a member since 21/5/2015. Posts: 2

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.