Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Itinery help!!

Posted by EllieBlack on 19/5/2015 at 07:37

Hello all
I am visiting Cambodia in mid-July but unfortunately because of the way dates have worked out I only have a total of 7 days there... I am desperate to visit PP, Siem Riep and the Elephant Valley Project in this time.
I know this is probably a bit ambitious and that ideally you should give yourself longer than 1 day in Angkor Wat but do you think it will be possible to squeeze it all in in the time I have?
Thanks!

#1 EllieBlack has been a member since 18/5/2015. Posts: 2

Heading to Thailand?
Heading to Thailand?
Ad Search for cheap flights to Thailand
on Skyscanner.

skyscanner.com

Read more

Posted by amnicoll on 20/5/2015 at 05:38

yes you could but do you really want to ?

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 943
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by antoniamitchell on 20/5/2015 at 16:18

Hi Ellie,
What you need to remember is: every time you move from place to place, you lose up to an entire day of your trip.

So realistically, your itinerary would look something like this:
Day 1 : arrive in country (fly in presumably), go through customs, get from airport into town centre, check into hotel. By this time half or most of your day could be done, and all you have time left for is to wander around the town and get your bearings.
Day 2: enjoy that first town / destination
Day 3: travel to 2nd destination, check into hotel. Maybe a couple of hours of daylight to explore if lucky
Day 4: enjoy 2nd destination
Day 5: travel to 3rd destination, check into hotel. Maybe a couple of hours of daylight to explore if lucky
Day 6: enjoy 3rd destination
Day 7: enjoy again, then fly home (hopefully late in the evening or the following morning)

That's a pretty nasty transport to fun ratio. I'm not certain how far the Elephant Valley is from anywhere else, but assuming it's not right near PP or Siem Reap, you can see above that you've basically only got one and a bit days in two of your destinations (and only 2 days in the 3rd) once the transport is taken into account. Unless each place is tiny or boring, chances are you're going to want to have more than one and a bit days in each.

So although hitting 3 places in 1 week is technically possible, my advice is to cut back. You'll enjoy your trip more and make more memories. After all, you're travelling all the way to Cambodia to experience some of Cambodia, not to experience sitting on a crappy Cambodian bus!

#3 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 553
 Send antoniamitchell a private message   Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by amnicoll on 21/5/2015 at 04:43

The Elephant Valley Project is based 11km from the town of Sen Monorom in Mondulkiri Province, Cambodia, near the border of Vietnam. It is approximately 6 hours travel from Phnom Penh and about 12 hours travel from Siem Reap.

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 943

Posted by antoniamitchell on 21/5/2015 at 05:12

Hi again,
I meant to add: some people take overnight buses on the idea that they'll avoid losing a site-seeing day to transport. While this can be feasible, the reality (in my experience) is that you have such a crappy night's sleep that you end up feeling a bit zombified the following day, and have less energy for exploring (so I tend to end up by early afternoon sitting semi-comatose in a cafe, or face-down in my plate of lunchtime rice). In other words, it can be a bit of a false economy, in terms of time. Yes, you gain more time on the ground, but it's often not quality time, unless you're the type you can sleep like a log in any situation.

I also feel, as a rather risk averse individual, that I should point out that night buses have a worse safety record than day buses. If you do decide to go down this route, research the reputation of the bus company carefully.

Have a great trip, whatever you decide.

#5 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 553
 Send antoniamitchell a private message   Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by EllieBlack on 21/5/2015 at 07:36

Thank you both for getting back to me - I think you're probably right... I'll try and battle out with my sister for which 2 we go to!

#6 EllieBlack has been a member since 18/5/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by JimTokay on 21/5/2015 at 09:15

My two cents about bus; only bus company what I recommend in Cambodia is Giant Ibis. New comfortable buses with wifi ( what don't work all the time), lunch and toilet stops (no stinky toilets in the back of the bus), always 2 drivers and no extra stops on the way to take extra people on. I used them more then 10 times between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh and never had any problems. Also I am agree with antoniamitc-hell that night bus is not good way to go. Because road conditions, you can't sleep anyway plus most accidents are happening at night. Travel safe and good luck!

#7 JimTokay has been a member since 11/5/2015. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 7
 Send JimTokay a private message   Where has JimTokay been? 

Posted by amnicoll on 22/5/2015 at 05:10

also agree avoid the night bus (fly from PP to SR)

If I were you if you can fly into Siem Reap then I would and then go to the elephant valley and just go to PP to catch your flight home

#8 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 943

Posted by Lisa_A on 14/6/2015 at 02:45

There are no night buses to or from Mondulkiri so if you decide to go there to see elephants you will need to spend at least 2 nights in Sen Monorom (unless you book a private taxi to use in the evening which will cost you $80 from Sen Monorom to Phnom Penh).

If you do decide to go to Mondulkiri to see elephants there is now a second elephant sanctuary worth considering. It is called the Mondulkiri Project and now has three elephants. Their one day tour is $50 per person compared to $85.

http://www.mondulkiriproject.org

#9 Lisa_A has been a member since 21/5/2015. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.