Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Exit visa

Posted by emptypassport on 26/5/2015 at 06:25

Entered Cambodia a few months ago, had my bag snatched in Phnom Penh - containing my passport! Wanted to stay here a while so applied for a new full 10 year passport from the UK. Got it. Problem is A)It's empty - no kind of visa or entry stamp, and B)The immigration office claim to be unable to find any record of my original entry/visa etc., since I don't have my old passport number. So, they say they don't know how to deal with my case. I've been given the option of paying a 'fine' - quite a big one - to be allowed to depart and re-enter. But I can't really afford it. Surely there must be a cheaper way of being allowed to leave the country? Maybe a rural border crossing where they'd be grateful for a smaller fine for permission to depart from Cambodia? Thanks in advance for any advice.

#1 emptypassport has been a member since 26/5/2015. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/5/2015 at 06:33 admin

Curious how you were able to get a new ten year passport without knowing the number of the old passport.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,010
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by amnicoll on 26/5/2015 at 06:39

I take it that you do not know the date/ approx time and location of the port of entry as well because I too find it hard to believe that you got a new passport without this information or that the UK embassy would not be able to provide you with it

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 941
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by emptypassport on 26/5/2015 at 06:40

They were very understanding. I needed somebody in the UK to send them a lot of other documents proving my identity, and make a lot of phone calls for me too. But I was lucky.

#4 emptypassport has been a member since 26/5/2015. Posts: 6

Posted by amnicoll on 26/5/2015 at 06:45

so have you asked the UK embassy for the number of the old passport?

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 941

Posted by emptypassport on 26/5/2015 at 06:46

I gave them all that info - they still claim to be unable to find any kind of record. Your guess is as good as mine.

#6 emptypassport has been a member since 26/5/2015. Posts: 6

Posted by emptypassport on 26/5/2015 at 06:58

The embassy refuses to answer passport enquiries now that the service has been privatized and refer you to an expensive UK helpline.

#7 emptypassport has been a member since 26/5/2015. Posts: 6

Posted by vbeck on 26/5/2015 at 20:19

Simple.Go to the UK Embassy.Let them handle it.Thats why they are there

#8 vbeck has been a member since 22/12/2013. Posts: 15

Posted by emptypassport on 26/5/2015 at 20:44

Well, you'd expect that's why they're there, but in fact they refuse to become involved in immigration issues. I've tried them many times, but all they say they can do is advise you to report to the Cambodian immigration authorities - which I've done - and they say they can't help either, except for paying an unaffordable, extortionate 'fine', leaving via Poipet. I was just wondering if anybody knew of any quieter border crossings where they might find a smaller fine acceptable, and if such a thing is possible. I've really no idea what to do.

#9 emptypassport has been a member since 26/5/2015. Posts: 6

Posted by exacto on 26/5/2015 at 20:53

The following comments won't help the OP, but they might help others who are reading this post. When you travel, be sure to have a photocopy of your passport's main information page with you - stored somewhere other than where you keep your passport of course. It is also a good idea to leave a photocopy of your passport with a trusted friend or family member back home just in case the unthinkable happens and you lose your passport while overseas. Your embassy should be able to use the photocopy to expedite follow on travel documents, although it usually is just a document that will allow you to travel back home and not a new passport. Good luck.

#10 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,774
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by amnicoll on 27/5/2015 at 05:03

I was going to say the same as Exacto. Again this will not help you but I would write to your MP and ask them to take this up with the Home office and Foreign office because even though they may not help on immigration issues they certainly should be able to find the number of your old passport

Do not know how much you are being asked for and assume you have tried negotiating but if I was going to do this I might pick a smaller border post like the one near Pailin and not Poipet

#11 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 941

Posted by emptypassport on 27/5/2015 at 05:16

Actually my MP and the foreign office have been tried too. Useless. But thanks for the suggestion about Pailin. That had crossed my mind too, and it's nice to hear my thoughts echoed.

#12 emptypassport has been a member since 26/5/2015. Posts: 6

Posted by KRStamm on 30/5/2015 at 02:45

I know you are a UK citizen but maybe walk into the American Embassy and ask your question. They may be-able to give you more direction. Also I would suggest that you take all of your documents saying that you had your passport stolen to the Cambodian authorities. Id look for other help since UK is not helping

#13 KRStamm has been a member since 10/9/2007. Posts: 38

Posted by boaby on 9/6/2015 at 23:45

Hi,
Unfortunate that this has happened I always carry a credit card sized copy of my passport ( laminated) it also serves as a secondary ID
good advice in case this happens again
B

#14 boaby has been a member since 26/1/2011. Posts: 41
 Send boaby a private message 

Posted by amnicoll on 14/6/2015 at 05:39

empty passport- what was the end result?

#15 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.