Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Article on Virachey National Park, and more

Posted by gregmccann1 on 9/7/2015 at 02:08

I just published an article about VNP on Khmer440.com and I thought it might help nudge those who are pondering a trek in Virachey to head up to Ratanakiri. I've also been getting emails from people about how to arrange a trek in the Park, and my advice is to "friend" Leam Sou on Facebook (you can call him 'Sou'). You can get everything sorted with him and he is by far and away the best VNP guide. Some other things related to Virachey: a video compilation that I made off just one camera trap, an amazing audio recording made deep inside the Park near the Lao border, and a Guardian article in which I'm quoted as calling the dholes of Virachey "badasses". Lastly, if anyone would like to help out with our conservation efforts you can do so here.

My plan is to visit Phnom Penh in October and give a presentation to the Ministry of Environment to help them understand just how special VNP is, because to them it is just some area on a map.

Anyway, I hope this post helps anyone who is thinking about taking the bus up Ban Lung and beyond into Virachey. It is still well worth the time and effort and, in fact, the treks will be cheaper now and possibly a day shorter as we've made some adjustments to the itinerary -cheaper and better.

#1 gregmccann1 has been a member since 28/10/2009. Location: Taiwan. Posts: 185
 Send gregmccann1 a private message   Website 

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.