Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

New places to visit in Cambodia

Posted by Bridgequeen on 7/9/2015 at 09:01

Hi

I have 2 weeks in Cambodia in February 2016 beginning and ending in PP due to flights booked. This is my 3rd visit and I really want to go somewhere new but finding it difficult to find somewhere which does not involve excessive amounts of travel. I have visited SR, Battambang , Kep and Kampot on previous trips and loved all of them. I am into history food and nature but do not want to (and am too unfit for) excessive amounts of walking or trekking. Thinking Paillin, or Sen Monorom, but neither seem easy to combine with Kampot or Battambang without going through PP a million times. Question is are either of these destinations worth the trouble? I have seen the dolphins in Lao so not bothered about Kratie. Also quite interested in going to Koh ROng or similar for a bit of chill before going back to PP. Any views on destinations there would be most welcome - liked the look of Lonely Beach or Lazy Beach.

#1 Bridgequeen has been a member since 29/7/2013. Location: Earth. Posts: 55
 Send Bridgequeen a private message   Where has Bridgequeen been? 

Posted by amnicoll on 8/9/2015 at 06:08

I liked both places BUT would I recommend them? very much depends on what you are looking for. Paillin is easy from Battanbang but you may find there is not much to see and do whereas Sen Monorom has a bit more to see and do outside the town.

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 940
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by DavidHindley on 9/9/2015 at 01:08

Lazy beach on Koh Rong Samloem island is a great place to unwind. Good beach, reasonable food etc. Individual cottages along the shore. A long-tailed macaque (monkey) walked out of the forest down to the sea when I was there. Saw hornbills in the trees behind. Not much to do other than laze, swim, relax. The hilltop temple at Preah Vihear on the Thai border is impressive, but it's quite a long drive. Best to combine with the pyramid temple Koh Ker, about 2 hours away.

#3 DavidHindley has been a member since 16/2/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by Muri on 10/9/2015 at 05:19

I absolutely loved Sen Monorom (Mondulkiri province) and I even dare to say it was the highlight during my Cambodia trip in 2014.

I would absolutely recommend it to you - that is if you're into unspoiled nature and elephants. It's quite a shame that you're not into treks, as the 2 days jungle trek I did last year was absolutely amazing. But even then it's an awesome place to ride your scooter around or to visit the elephants and the local Bunong people. It was a much more authentic and even begging-free experience compared to the other places I've been in Cambodia.

Also keep in mind that in the Ratanakiri and Mondulkiri regions, both considered as the "wild east" of Cambodia, are nowadays pretty endangered by massive loggings and rubber plantations. I don't know if these massive forests will be destroyed in the near future, so the sooner you visit these regions the better I guess.

#4 Muri has been a member since 17/7/2015. Location: Switzerland. Posts: 11
 Send Muri a private message   Where has Muri been?   Website 

Posted by Bridgequeen on 11/9/2015 at 07:23

Thanks everyone for your replies, except the last one from service visa, anyone know how to block these guys? Anyway Muri, looking into Sen Monorom, I think I shall go with that. Where would you recommend to stay and did you use the minibus? Is it reliable?

#5 Bridgequeen has been a member since 29/7/2013. Location: Earth. Posts: 55
 Send Bridgequeen a private message   Where has Bridgequeen been? 

Posted by Muri on 11/9/2015 at 10:00

Personally I took the slow local bus from Phnom Penh to Sen Monorom which took quite long, like 4 to 6 hours. But as you said there are also minivans, which take considerably less time. I guess the easiest way is to book them via your guesthouse or by yourself. Also note that the road between PP and Sen Monorom has vastly improved and should be all paved by now.

Most backpackers in Sen Monorom might go seeing the Elephant Valley Project, but there's also the competitor Mondulkiri Project which offers quite the same services under local guidance. Back then in 2014 I went with Mondulkiri Project / Tree Lodge which I thought was very simply furnished, but led by lovely and local people. I guess it's your choice which one to take, as both have earned quite a reputation and are in constant competition against each other. By now there are maybe even more competitors - who knows?

You might read my travel report from back then, the part about Sen Monorom / Mondulkiri Project starts about at the last fifth of the blog post.

#6 Muri has been a member since 17/7/2015. Location: Switzerland. Posts: 11
 Send Muri a private message   Where has Muri been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.