Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

cambodia motorbike trip

Posted by gecktrek on 14/11/2015 at 01:27

hey, i'm planning/researching a trip by motorbike in cambodia next feb.

the tentative route at the moment is; phnom penh, kampong chhnang, battambang, phnom kravanh, krong khemara phoumin, sihanoulville, kampot, kep and back to phnom penh.

i have allocated 3 weeks to do this... can anyone tell me if this is even possible or far too ambitious?

#1 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 171
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by Nickysullivan on 15/11/2015 at 22:10 TF writer

Hi there,

I'm very jealous of your plans, and think a circular tour of Cambodia is perfectly doable in three weeks.

I think a route that goes Phnom Penh - Kampot - Kep - Sihanoukville - Koh Kong - Pursat (through the Cardamom Mountains, you'll need to overnight at the crossroads in the middle, I can't remember the name of the town right now) - Battambang - Siem Reap - Kampong Thom - Phnom Penh would be more fruitful and manageable. You may even be able to swing a whizz up to Preah Vihear from Kampong Thom if you have time left towards the end. The trip through the Cardamoms is off road, though the road is perfectly good provided rainy season is over. We still tend to get rains in early December though.

However, if you're a stranger to Cambodia, I would strongly, strongly recommend that you don't attempt to do this journey on your own. You may well find yourself in places where few speak English, and even fewer know how to properly react in the event of an accident - the image that always gives me the heebie-jeebies is accident victims being pulled away from the scene while still unconscious and without any regard for the possibility of back or neck injuries. If you go down, it's good to have someone around who knows what to do. Even experienced riders who live in Cambodia and speak Khmer would not attempt to to do this on their own.

There are plenty of really excellent motorbike tour companies in Cambodia, many who will tailor a tour to suit you. Or who may already be running what you're looking for. Alternatively, you could try the Cambodia motorbike Facebook groups and see if anyone wants to come along for the ride? It would be more fun, and safer by a magnitude that is impossible to overstate.

I would really like to know what you decide,

Nicky

#2 Nickysullivan has been a member since 9/2/2015. Posts: 8
 Send Nickysullivan a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by gecktrek on 16/11/2015 at 00:55

hey nicky, i'll looking into your suggestions, i wasn't sure about the viability of the phnom kravanh, krong khemara phoumin, sihanoulville leg, many thanks!

#3 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 171
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Posted by Nickysullivan on 16/11/2015 at 02:21 TF writer

No worries. Feel free to send me any questions at all. I've done a number of motorbike trips around the country.

Cheers,

Nicky

#4 Nickysullivan has been a member since 9/2/2015. Posts: 8
 Send Nickysullivan a private message 

Posted by maxinebwright17 on 18/11/2015 at 07:39

Hi every 1 , need any tips , advice plze , going to vientnam & Cambodia for only 3 weeks , will arrive on new years eve :) would lk to no where I can go for new years , party etc & after ( I've recovered ) would love to get as much in as possible, sight seeing best beaches etc , o yea I'm on my own , many thxs

#5 maxinebwright17 has been a member since 18/11/2015. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 1
 Send maxinebwright17 a private message 

Posted by Patrick70 on 12/1/2016 at 22:44

I would advise you to do the triple a day tour, www.tripleacambodia.com

#6 Patrick70 has been a member since 12/1/2016. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.