Text page

Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Siem Reap-Koh Rong Samloem-Phnom Penh

Posted by Torncalfguy on 2/2/2016 at 16:49

My wife, teenage daughter, and I are planning a trip for almost 3 weeks from late June to early July. Any and all feedback on our general itinerary would be appreciated. As you'll see from the planned itinerary, we currently anticipate going to Chiang Mai and Luang Prabang before heading to Siem Reap , Kohn Rong Samloem (Lazy Beach?), and Phnom Penh (from where we'll return to the United States).

Any advice on whether we should spend more or less time in any place, such as Siem Reap versus Phnom Penh, or take a day trip outside of Phnom Penh is appreciated. Here's an outline of what we're currently planning:

Day 1: Arrive in Chiang Mai in early evening, eat, sleep after many flights from the Washington DC area
Day 2: Get our bearings and walk/bicycle/see sights around Chiang Mai
Days 3-4: Elephant park (1 day) and canyoneering/rock climbing (me and daughter, who rock climbs)/cooking class (wife) other day
Day 5: Chiang Mai through lunch/fly to Luang Prabang in afternoon (15:30 flight)
Days 6-8: Luang Prabang and surroundings
Day 9: LP in morning, 14:30 flight to Siem Reap
Days 10-11 Angkor (Siem Reap) (daughter and I probably will not want to do this for more than 2 days--we know ourselves and know we'll love the first day and lose steam/interest as the second day is ending)
Day 12: Siem Reap through lunch, 16:15 flight to Sihanoukville
Day 13: Boat from Sihanoukville to Koh Rong Sanloem (Lazy Beach probably)
Days 14-15: Koh Rong Samloem
Day 16: Leave Koh Rong Samloem (09:00) and travel from Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh by taxi
Days 17-18: Phnom Penh
Day 19: Phnom Penh until dark, then late flight from PP to Seoul at 23:20
[Day 20: Worth leaving Seoul airport if we arrive at 6:30 and have international flight to Canada at 15:00?]
Any suggestions to change the itinerary? Are there good day trips from Phnom Penh? (Outside of Cambodia, thoughts on Chiang Mai versus Luang Prabang?) We want a mix of adventure/activities, history, and relaxation. A beach stop is something we all would look forward to after seeing lots of history and doing lots of walking/bicycling, so we definitely are looking forward to Lazy Beach.

If this is doable, would you advise buying flight tickets now for CNX-LPQ ($135USD) and/or LPQ-REP ($105USD), or should they be similarly priced and available in a few months, or even when we're there?

Thank you for any thoughts--positive, negative, or just things to consider,

#1 Torncalfguy has been a member since 15/11/2015. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/2/2016 at 02:56 admin

My only real pointer would be that you'll be hitting the islands right in the middle of wet season, so the weather may not be great. There really isn't anywhere in that area that will have great weather that time of year for beaches unfortunately...

Those ticket prices sound about right to me, so if your dates are set, then yes, I'd buy them now.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,058

Posted by Torncalfguy on 9/2/2016 at 15:53

Thanks for the reply. We realize that it will be rainy season, so we'll go and hope for the best.

#3 Torncalfguy has been a member since 15/11/2015. Posts: 5

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.