Text page

Cambodia

Cambodia forum

16 days in north Thai/Cambodia. Any hint?

Posted by goncourt10 on 27/4/2016 at 15:59

Hi there!
My gf and myself are flying next week to Bangkok for 15 days. For the time being, we only have got this flight, so it's a last minute planning...By the way, our main goals are visit Angkor Wat area and lay back some days in some cool islands (preferably Cambodian, if worth it).
So our idea is not to stop in Bangkok, but going directly to Chiang Mai/Rai and spend 2/3 days there.
Then, move to Siem Reap and dedicate 2/3 more days to Angkor Wat area.
Then, heading Cambodian Islands ( Koh Rong ?), passing through Sihanoukville.

However, this is just an idea, we may completely change our mind and go for a different planning.

Although we have read many many different forums, I would be very grateful, if any of you could give me her/his opinion about:
- is the tour reasonable, also considering the weather in May?
- any not-to-miss spot on our way?
- what about 4000 Islands?
- any different/more destination, taking into account we only have the intercontinental flight to Bangkok at the moment.
- transportation?
- Koh Rong is ok in May? Is it worth it? Otherwise?

Any help is much appreciated.
Thank you

#1 goncourt10 has been a member since 27/4/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by MichaelW on 29/4/2016 at 23:17

Four Thousand Islands probably isn't too realistic unless time was a non-factor, especially if you want to get down to Koh Rong . Laos would mean quite a bit of backtracking. Going from Siem Reap down to Koh Rong would be fine, and you'd have tons of options in terms of places to stop along the way. I don't know what your interests are, but some options would be: Battambang, Kampong Thom, Kampong Cham, Phnom Penh, Kampot, Kep, just to give some examples. I live in the Kep/Kampot area so I can tell you anything you'd want to know about it, if that appeals.

Also, if you're going to Koh Rong, note that nearby Koh Rong Samloem is another option, which a lot of travelers actually prefer (it's nicer and not as touristy).

As for weather, it's hard to say. May has potential for a lot of rain, but I've heard rainy season is expected to start late this year, which is bad for farmers but good for tourists who don't like rain storms. I'd say don't worry about the weather and just go wherever most interests you.

Have fun,

Michael

#2 MichaelW has been a member since 16/4/2016. Posts: 12

Posted by Captain_Bob on 2/5/2016 at 06:26

Going to Chiang M/Rai for just a couple days is a waste of time/money/fuel. Maybe just treat this as a Cambodia trip with Bangkok as your fly in/out base, or you could do a few days side-trip somewhere closer like Kanchanburi or visit Ko Chang on the way to/from Cambodia.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,955

Posted by goncourt10 on 2/5/2016 at 09:07

Thank you guys!
You just confirmed my thoughts I made in the meanwhile: it'll be a Cambodia trip! North Thai will deserve a future dedicated trip...
I read nice things about Chi Phat..will probably stop there for a couple of days (any hint is more than welcome) and think about the destinations you mentioned in your replies..
Thanks again!!

#4 goncourt10 has been a member since 27/4/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by MichaelW on 3/5/2016 at 01:56

Chi Phat was a great place, in my opinion. If you like outdoor stuff (cycling, trekking, etc) then I'd say you can't go wrong there.

#5 MichaelW has been a member since 16/4/2016. Posts: 12

Posted by amnicoll on 4/5/2016 at 04:59

Yes this year is very dry with many water shortages in Cambodia and I too was told that the rains are not expected until June which is very bad news. (it is not just Cambodia but also Vietnam and Thailand at least)

I am a big fan of Chi Phat and if you do add it note that a massive Cambodian tour group is expected for 13/14 May. 50 coaches with 2000 people. I have no idea where they are going to stay but I understand plans are being drawn up to feed them at the local school.

#6 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by goncourt10 on 4/5/2016 at 05:52

Thank you..so it means I will try and avoid those crowded days in Chi Phat. I might go earlier.
Any suggestion on the smoothest way to get there from Siem Reap?

#7 goncourt10 has been a member since 27/4/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by amnicoll on 4/5/2016 at 06:03

Unless you take overnight bus from SR to Phnom Phen you will need overnight in Phnom Phen

For more detailed info on Chi Phat and how to get there from PP see

http://www.chi-phat.org/

There is also an excellent write up on the place on the Travelfish pages on Cambodia

#8 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.