Text page

Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Help 8 days to fill Cambodia or?

Posted by jgrant22 on 26/5/2016 at 17:16

We are a fit and active couple in our early 50's travelling out of our 10 month sojourn in Europe to spend 6 weeks in SE Asia. We prefer 'slow' travel and adventures and not running from city to city to get everything in. So we have decided to focus our trip on Cambodia and I'm needing advise and input / ideas on our last 8 days.

Our travel plan: in and out of Bangkok Jan 13 to Feb 24th (we will be back in BKK on the 23rd for early am flight on the 24th).

1) 3 nights Bangkok (shop we are leaving hiking/cold weather clothes in Barcelona and will buy what we need for this trip in Bangkok)

2) fly to Siem Reap 6 nights

3) private taxi Siem Reap to Battambang 5 nights

4) private taxi Battambang to Phnom Penh 4 nights

5) bus/driver to Sen Monorom 7 nights (includes 2 day/1 night with Mondulkiri Elephant Project)

-6) bus/driver to Phnom Penh - 1 night to double back **

-7) driver to Phnom Penh to Kampot - 7 nights here

We can fit in something after Leg 5 - we have to double back to Phomn Penh in order to get to Kampot

We chose Kampot so we can rent scooters/bikes/kayaks and hike

We chose Siem Reap so we can enjoy a temple, day off to be active and not temple, back to temple etc.

We chose Sen Monorom to do Elephant project and for my husband a huge motorbike rider to do 2 days with Mondulkiri Tour Guide riding dirt roads whilst I yoga / massage etc.

We were thinking of Saigon / HMC and that of course would be flight in from PP and out of HMC to Bangkok...

We are really wanting to enjoy Cambodia and stick with this country being our 'only' trip this time as we have been to Thailand before. We are not laying about on the beach people BUT we like fishing, snorkelling, kayaking, sailing and so Sihanoukville maybe a good place but not sure for 8 days?

I welcome input to fill in our last 8 days - or shuffle this around to do something else worthwhile.

We are 'slow' travellers in we do not want to change hotel rooms every 2 days. We are also not backpackers - we saved to enjoy this trip - not 5* luxury but we can afford to take a taxi not a bus for extra allowances (as an example).

Cheers from Vancouver, Canada

#1 jgrant22 has been a member since 20/5/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by amnicoll on 27/5/2016 at 06:17

I am not sure why you have chosen private taxis over bus for some of these legs as there are good bus services available but I hope it is so that you can spend the day and stop along the way

From kampot I would suggest you consider Chi Phat - it is a village but caters for westerners - check out the excellent write up added very recently by Nicky. This is a trip you might want the private taxi for but it is easy enough to reach under your own steam from Kampot. from Chi Phat you could go to Bangkok without the need to go back to Phnom Phen

https://www.travelfish.org/location/cambodia/southern_cambodia/koh_kong/chi_phat

You will not find hot water of A/C but there are some very nice bungalows (happy to provide private recommendations)

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.