Text page

Cambodia

Cambodia forum

eVisa or visa at the airport?

Posted by Betsywoo on 9/6/2016 at 18:05

Lonely Planet says that lines to get visas at the airport aren't long and the process is very quick. What has been your experience? I will be arriving in Phnom Penh at 11:00 at night. Is it better to get an eVisa?

#1 Betsywoo has been a member since 9/5/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by MichaelW on 10/6/2016 at 06:48

I've never gotten one and most travelers I would think don't bother with it. It might save you a bit of time, but it also might not and if you're checking a bag you'll only beat everyone else to the baggage claim. In my experience buying Cambodian visas in person is usually pretty quick and painless.

#2 MichaelW has been a member since 16/4/2016. Posts: 12

Posted by MichaelW on 10/6/2016 at 06:49

I've never gotten one and most travelers I would think don't bother with it. It might save you a bit of time, but it also might not and if you're checking a bag you'll only beat everyone else to the baggage claim. In my experience buying Cambodian visas in person is usually pretty quick and painless.

#3 MichaelW has been a member since 16/4/2016. Posts: 12

Posted by exacto on 10/6/2016 at 12:57

I would lean towards getting an eVisa. Is the price about the same for both? I ask because the Turkish eVisa I just got was about 60% cheaper than the cost would be for a visa-on-arrival at the airport. The lines may be quick when you arrive, but if you get caught towards the end of the line, they may not be all that quick.
Another factor would be how long is the trip to Cambodia. If you are coming all the way from North America, for example, having to complete your visa on arrival could seem like a big chore after a long journey. If you are just popping over from Bangkok, however, it wouldn't be as big a deal.
Either way, will you let us know which option you choose, how much it cost, what other requirements there were (like a passport photo or such), and how it went? Thanks and have a great time. Cheers.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,814

Posted by gecktrek on 10/6/2016 at 20:41

hey, i used e-visa on my recent trip to cambodia. it was more expensive due to admin fees, but should be less hassle through customs. i had one problem using it though, my e-visa application didn't appear on their system, but i had the print-outs of the application and the officers were able to sort things out and was subsequently let in...

#5 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 171

Posted by MichaelW on 10/6/2016 at 23:50

Yes, the e-visa is more expensive than the VOA because of the processing fee (though certainly not outrageously more). For people who hate waiting in lines I could see how it might be worth it, but I guess I've always had good luck at the airport and never had much of a line.

#6 MichaelW has been a member since 16/4/2016. Posts: 12

Posted by amnicoll on 13/6/2016 at 05:55

VOA $30 e-visa $40

It goes without saying that how long it will take varies both depending on how many other flights have just landed or indeed are you the first or last off the plane

If doing VOA just make sure you have everything you need (ie photo)

#7 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.