Text page

Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Advice for a week from Luang Prabang to Siem Reap and Bangkok?

Posted by JGBR on 14/9/2016 at 21:43

My husband and I are planning a few weeks in Thailand, Laos & Cambodia in October, and we're a bit stuck on the last week. We will have already spent time in Thailand and are visiting Luang Prabang for Boun Ok Phonsa (in mid October). We then have a week to get back to Bangkok, and would like to get to Siem Reap , but do not want to spend the whole week there. The challenge is that it seems we don't have quite enough time to fit in another far-flung destination that requires a whole day of travel (like Vang Vieng, Si Phan Don, or Battambang).

Does anyone have recommendations for places to visit that feel a bit more off the beaten path either nearby or on the way between Luang Prabang, Siem Reap and Bangkok?

Thank you!

#1 JGBR has been a member since 14/9/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/9/2016 at 22:42 admin

Hi,
Battambang would have been my first suggestion from Siem Reap. Another one worth considering is Banteay Chhmar as you can stay in a homestay there and experience something closer to traditional Khmer village life.

Alternatively perhaps Nong Kiaow from Luang Prabang?

Or, given you'll be in Bangkok, you could head west for a few days to Kanchanaburi or, without going too far, experience canal-side life at Amphawa - which is virtually a part of Bangkok?

All of these would be good sidetrips for a couple of nights...

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,062

Posted by amnicoll on 16/9/2016 at 06:46

Off the beaten track and limited time tend to be a contradiction

Assume you will fly fro LP to SR so it is between SR and bangkok.

So Pailin rather than Battambang, but how much time will you have including travel time and do you want beach, National Park or just a typical thai town or what?

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.