Text page

Cambodia

Cambodia forum

One month itinary help please!

Posted by lajoy9 on 13/10/2016 at 18:41

Hi there, We will be traveling from Laos, 4000 islands to Cambodia. I'd like to know if my planning for Cambodia is ok? Will be there in March next year.Some of it is based on the Travelfish itinary. What I need anyone to tell me is, if I am missing on something or if we stay too long in some places?

Stung Treng: 4 days at the Mekong bird resort (thanks to Travelfish)

Kratie + Koh Trong Island: 4 days
Sen Menorom 1 or 2 nights? Also will do the 2 days trek with Mondulkiri elephant and wildife project.
Kompong Cham: 2 nights
Phonm Penh:6 nights
Battambang: 5 nights
Siem Riep: 5 nights
Then fly to Thailand to the Islands.

#1 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Posted by amnicoll on 14/10/2016 at 05:54

Of course you are missing places but without some input from you I am not in a position to help with ideas

However if you give me some idea what may be of interest then I will do my best because on the face of it you would appear to be spending a long time in PP and battambang

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by Lisa2014 on 14/10/2016 at 16:47

If you travel to Sen Monorom you will have to spend at least 2 night there. The night before your elephant tour and the night after your elephant tour. There is no public transport leaving Sen Monorom after 1.30pm.

I would also suggest you check out the Mondulkiri Project for your two day elephant and jungle trek in Sen Monorom. We had a wonderful time there on our visit. The elephants at the Mondulkiri Project live there full time and their sanctuary is in a lovely location. The Mondulkiri Elephant and Wildlife Sanctuary only hires elephants when people are booked on a tour. The elephants also do not stay overnight at the sanctuary. This means you cannot be sure the elephant there are well looked after.

Six nights in Phnom Penh is a really long time to spend there.

Five nights in Battambang is also a long time to spend there.

You might want to add a place like Kampot to your itinerary.

Kep is also popular because from there you can visit Rabbit Island.

Good luck with your plans.

#3 Lisa2014 has been a member since 26/9/2014. Posts: 9

Posted by lajoy9 on 14/10/2016 at 17:56

Yes I thought Phnom Penh and Battambang duration of stays were two long, but I planned in order to avoid too much travelling around in Cambodia. Because this country is part of our first 6 month trip to SE Asia. So I don't know much , but learning. We first go to Northern Thailand from Bangkok, all the temple sites,then Chiang Mai, Chiang Dao, Thakek, boat to Chiang Rai, Chiang Khong, crossover to Laos at Houiesay,Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng, Vientiane, Plane to Pakse, 5 days Bike tour in Bolaven Plateau. days in Champasak, and the 4000 islands, Now, I am into my Cambodia planning and I know that I will have seen a lot of the Mekong. Maybe too much?

I didn't plan beach time in Cambodia because we will have a full month in Southern Thailand just beaching around. Probably a bit of Phuket,a bit of Koh Phi phi and 2 weeks on Koh Lantha or else. I am open to ideas, After that it will be Bali.

My husband and I are mid-fifties.We are Canadian, but we are tired of the cold. We love nature, the sound of birds,crickets and beautiful butterflies, a bit of old stones, history and the feeling of being out of our confort zone. We like our confort mind you, but we plan to travel a lot in the future, We like trekking and snorkeling, and relaxing with a good glass of wine. And also meeting the true people of the land.But I don't like too much noise...We also like things unusual,I hope it gives you a better idea. I am a bit afraid of the mossies thing ....But will not change my itinary because of that.Voilà!

Thanks for the cue on the Mondulkiri Project, I will check this out thouroughly. It is really weird if they bring in the ellies just for the show...That is certainly not to my liking.

Looking forward to your answers!

#4 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Posted by Lisa2014 on 14/10/2016 at 20:23

I am not too sure if you will have seen too much of the Mekong. Time on the river is relaxing and away from the noise and the traffic.

Thailand has much nicer beaches and islands than Cambodia so a good idea not to spend time at Cambodia's coast.

Cambodia is an incredibly noisy country. You have been warned.

You will be out of your comfort zone on most minivans in Cambodia. They like to drive fast.

Being from Canada it is understandable that you would like some warm weather - Cambodia is very hot in March. It is helpful to do what the locals do - wake up early, have a siesta in the heat of the middle of the day, then get active again in the late afternoon.

If you need a break from the heat Sen Monorom is 700m above sea level and the temperature is nice. Maybe you can visit both the elephant sanctuaries in Sen Monorom and see which one you like the best.

The best advice for mozzies is to know they like to bite the most at dusk and dawn. Insect repellant is a good idea. So are lightweight long pants and long sleeved clothes.

Siem Reap is a nice sized town to spend plenty of time. It is not too big so you can walk around it easily or pay $1 for a tuk tuk to most places. Loads of good restaurants. Lots of 5* hotel pools to relax in.

The temples of Angkor are incredible. Many people are in such a rush to see the temples that they miss out on getting to know the friendly locals that live in the villages close to the temples. There are also a lot of trees around the temples - a place where the loggers are not welcome.

Sam Veasna Centre in Siem Reap organises good bird watching tours.

For Laos - Kuang Si Waterfalls close to Luang Prabang is a magic place. Try and get there first thing in the morning to avoid the crowds.

#5 Lisa2014 has been a member since 26/9/2014. Posts: 9

Posted by amnicoll on 15/10/2016 at 04:29

If you fancy the idea of chilling out in a village or taking trips into the jungle/treking then check out Chi Phat

https://www.travelfish.org/location/cambodia/southern_cambodia/koh_kong/chi_phat

I think you are right there are so many beaches and going from one to another as many do strikes me as madness

There are some nice towns in Cambodia such as Kratie, Kampot both of which get a lot of tourists and many smaller ones which are not so visited but are relaxed with accommodation food and friendly locals and Cambodia is a great place

#6 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by lajoy9 on 15/10/2016 at 15:35

Thank you both for your replies. They are very helpful.

I will reduce the time in PP and Battambang,

Leave some time either for Kep or Chi-Phat(very interesting article and well done). Also I will increase the time in Siem Riep because my heart wanted to stay into town at a nice resort I found, and I was thinking about another one, which is also nice, closer to the ruins. So we will go to both!

Thanks for the advices on the mosquitos! I alreave have the right clothes set up. And I realize my bum will not be in it's comfort zone from time to time, haha!. But that is part of travelling, right!

Cheers
Lajoy

#7 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Posted by amnicoll on 16/10/2016 at 06:00

It is of course your decision but I would have thought 5 nights in Siem reap was sufficient - whilst of course the ruins are spectacular the same can not be said for the city

Read up on Kep and decide if it is for you - many like myself much prefer to stay in Kampot and visit Kep for the day. I can go into more detail if you want

#8 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by lajoy9 on 16/10/2016 at 16:01

Hi there, here is my new itinary with added stopover in Kampot

Stung Treng: 4 days
Kratie + Koh Trong Island: 2 days or 3???
Sen Menorom 4 nights. Also included is a 2 days trek
Kompong Cham : 2 nights
Phonm Penh:4 nights
Kampot: 3 nights
Battambang: 3 nights
Siem Riep: 5 nights
Then fly to Thailand to the Islands.

The question left is, transportwise: is it possible to go from Kompong Cham to Kampot directly? Or do we have to stop by Pnomph Penh to go to Kampot? And after that do we need to go back to Pnomph Penh to go to Batambang? What whould be the best way? When would be the ideal stopover for Pnomph Penh? Going to Kampot or coming back from Kampot?

#9 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Posted by Lisa2014 on 16/10/2016 at 17:35

From Kompong Cham you need to first go to Phnom Penh and then another bus/minivan to Kampot .

From Kampot to Battambang you will first need to go to Phnom Penh and then get another bus/minivan to Battambang.

To stop at Phnom Penh earlier or later is a tricky question.

It is a 3 hour trip Phnom Penh to Kampot and a 6 hour trip Phnom Penh to Battambang so maybe you want to stay in Phnom Penh twice to break up your trips between Kompang Cham and Kampot and Kampot and Battambang.

#10 Lisa2014 has been a member since 26/9/2014. Posts: 9

Posted by lajoy9 on 17/10/2016 at 12:33

Read more about Kampot area, seems really nice and different from the rest of places.I had the pleasure of tasting the famous pepper! Good place for foodies like me too.

If we want to spend more time in Kampot, I have another tricky question for you, Sorry!

If someone had to choose beetween skipping one of these places travelwise: would you skip Kratie, Sen Menorom, Kompomg Cham, or Battambang. I know the bus is direct Phnom Penh to Siem Riep...

Sorry if I sound like someone who cannot make up their mind.

#11 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Posted by Lisa2014 on 17/10/2016 at 16:55

Yes Kampot pepper is delicious. It goes really well with fried seafood.

I would skip Kampong Cham. No much to do in this town except walk along the riverside.

Others may disagree......

#12 Lisa2014 has been a member since 26/9/2014. Posts: 9

Posted by amnicoll on 18/10/2016 at 05:09

If it were me I would skip Battambang as prefer the smaller places. Having said that there are nice places to visit outside the city (Not the bamboo railway)

#13 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by lajoy9 on 18/10/2016 at 11:47

Many thanks! I know wich towns to keep! Of course my intinary will be suject to changes along the way. You have been a great help.Love Travelfish.

#14 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Posted by amnicoll on 19/10/2016 at 05:23

for what it is worth I like Kampong Cham but wherever you go have a great trip

#15 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.