Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Kampot to Kompnong Chnang by bus?

Posted by lajoy9 on 15/11/2016 at 17:11

Hello there! Read your coverage about Kompong Chnang. Lovely! I had planned a day only but reading the Travelfish coverage, I want to stay 2 days!I had planned a day layover in Pnomph Penh but I'd like to skip that and go directly from Kampot to Kompong Chnang if it is doable.Maybe we will arrive after sunset??? Your advice will be appreciated.
Another question is how would it be to go on the Tonle Sap to visit the floating villages near Kompong Chnang at the end of march? Am I missing the boat? I really would love to see some during this trip.

#1 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 25
 Send lajoy9 a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/11/2016 at 20:11 admin

All buses from Kampot will pass through Phnom Penh so I think will just be a case of getting a morning bus from Kampot, changing in Phnom Penh and continuing to Kompong Chhnang . Theoretically, if there is a direct bus from say Kampot to Battambang then you could stay on the same bus the whole way through (as it will pass by Kompong Chhnang), but I'm not sure if there is such a bus!

As for the water levels in March, I asked Mark (who did the Kompong Chhnang research) and he said: "By March not a lot of water obviously but the Kompong Chhnang ones on Tonle Sap would still be ok"

Hope that helps!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,789
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by amnicoll on 16/11/2016 at 05:35

it is (or at least was) very easy and certainly doable in a day

Like somtam says get a morning bus from Kampot to PP and there used to be a regular local bus from PP to kampong Chhnang from the bus station every half hour or so or you can pick up the Battambang bus which will be quicker from PP but cost a bit more

I do not think there are direct buses (happy to be corrected) but I think some of the companies/agents may offer a connecting service with change in PP and there may be a mini van

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 810
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by lajoy9 on 16/11/2016 at 11:59

Seems to be easy, a bus every half hour from PP. I guess we will arrive at daylight which is great!

Thanks to you both!

#4 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 25
 Send lajoy9 a private message 

Posted by amnicoll on 17/11/2016 at 04:36

I am relying on memory as to the frequency of the local bus which goes up past Oudong - I did this as a day trip from kampong Chnnang but can just as easily be done as a day trip from PP but whatever you still have the option of the Battambang buses as well

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 810
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.