Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

2 week itinerary advice

Posted by adlis on 26/11/2016 at 16:56

My partner and I are travelling to Cambodia for 2 weeks from New Zealand and have put together an itinerary and was curious to know peoples thoughts. We had originally planned a more relaxed itinerary without Mondulkiri, but thought it sounded really great and perhaps worth squeezing it in - but that said, we don't want the trip to feel rushed. Thanks in advance!

Siem Reap - 3 nights (23-26)

Shuttle/private cab to Battabang

Battabang - 2 nights (26-28)

Drive back to Siem Reap and catch lunchtime flight to Phnom Penh

Phnom Penh - 2 nights (28-30)

Drive 5 hours to Mondulkiri

Mondulkiri- 4 nights (30-2)

Arrive late on the 30th, 31st - 1st do 2 day elephant trek, depart morning of the 2nd for Phnom Penh)

Phnom Penh - 1 night (2-3rd)

Drive to Kampot

Kampot - 2 nights (3-5th)

Drive to Sihanoukville via taxi and then ferry to either Koh Rong / Koh Rong Sanloem

Koh Rong / Koh Rong Sanloem (5-7th)

Catch early afternoon flight to Phnom Penh

Phnom Penh (7th)

Fly home at 4:45pm

#1 adlis has been a member since 26/11/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 27/11/2016 at 02:24 admin

Hi,

You don't say what month this trip is, but I'm guessing December of January?

A few thoughts.
1) By the time you drive from Battambang to Siem Reap, go to the airport, sit around for an hour waiting to board and then fly to Phnom Penh , you could have just driven from Battambang straight to Phnom Penh ... so if it was me, I'd skip flying back and instead get a car from Battambang straight to Phnom Penh.

2) The reason I ask about the month of the trip is that in both December and January the coast and the islands will have great weather, but will also be pretty busy. So if you're planning on either Koh Rong or Koh Rong Samloem – particularly if you're talking about early January, a reservation would be a good idea – especially if you are after more midrange digs.

3) Secondly 2 nights won't seem like long once you factor in your transfers from Kampot and the boat to the island (and back). I'd consider shaving a day off Sen Monorom to give it to the islands, just to give you more of a break.

Hope that helps.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,789
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by amnicoll on 27/11/2016 at 06:56

Why Battambang? I say this as I might instead go from Siem reap to Kratie and from there on to Mondulkiri

What flight are you intending to take back to PP - I do not think I would wish to be risking an early afternoon flight with my international one leaving at 16.45

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 811
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by adlis on 28/11/2016 at 02:21

Thanks so much much for your replies.
We are going Dec/Jan - sorry I forgot to mention that detail! We've decided to drive from Batabang to Phnom Penh following your advice and have decided if we do go to Sen Monorom, we'll go for 3 days not 4.
I just realised though that there are no direct flights from Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh. Our international flight is at 4:45pm the same day - do you think that is cutting it too fine?
I've heard that Battambang is not to be missed, so added it to our itinerary. But starting to wonder whether we're spreading ourselves too thin. But not sure where I should steal time! Updated itinerary is below.

Siem Reap - 3 nights (23-26th)
Battabang - 2 nights (26-28th)
Phnom Penh - 1 night (28-29th)
Mondulkiri- 3 nights - do 2 day elephant walk (29-1st)
Phnom penh - 1 night (1-2nd)
Kampot - 3 nights(2-5th)
Koh Rong (2 nights) (5-7th)
Phnom Penh (7th) - leave Koh Rong early and make way to airport same day to international flight 4:45pm

OR here is an alternative (more relaxed) itinerary if we skip Mondulkiri

Siem Reap - 3 nights (23-26)
Battabang - 2 nights (26-28)
Phnom Penh - 2 nights (28-30)
Koh Rong - 2 nights (30-1)
Koh Rong Sanloem 2 nights (1-3)
Kampot - 3 nights (3-6)
Phnom Penh - 1 night (6-7)

#4 adlis has been a member since 26/11/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by amnicoll on 28/11/2016 at 04:18

I would not say that battambang is somewhere not to miss myself - others may disagree but as you have not provided any information about what might or might not interest you it is hard to recommend anything

Given you need to be at the airport by 14.45 I would overnight in PP and be safe - you might be able to do it the same day but things can go wrong

I would still say if you go to Mondulkiri cut out Battambang and head there from Siem Reap via Kratie or kampong Cham

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 811

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/11/2016 at 16:21 admin

I'm a big fan of Battambang, but as amnicoll says, individual opinions vary - and there are no elephants there!

OK, so while not essential, once you tighten down your itinerary, I'd consider contacting where ever you are planning on staying in Sen Monorom to check you can get a room. Not that it ever gets very busy there, but there isn't a huge range of great places to stay and I'd expect some expats and locals will be heading to the hills to see in the new year.

If you go with your second plan with the islands for New Years, if you are at all picky with your accommodation you need to book it yesterday.

Leaving Koh Rong for a same day international flight - I don't think that is going to work. Just figuring out the logistics backwards:

16:45 flight = 14:45 at the airport = leave Phnom Penh 13:45.

Bus from Sihnoukville to Phnom Penh takes 3-5 hours depending on the operator - see example times here so lets say four hours to allow for breakdowns and random Cambodian stuff + transfers once in Phnom Penh.

You need to leave Sihanoukville at 9:45 am

So you'd need a boat from Koh Rong that gets into Sihanoukville at 9:30 latest to get the bus.

Now if you're staying at Lonely Beach (for example) the boat takes three hours, and while quicker boats go from Koh Touch, they still don't depart till 10:00 - by which time you need to be halfway to Phnom Penh.

So, I'm with Amnicoll on this one - overnight in Phnom Penh - which then leaves you with only one night on Koh Rong - debatably worth it.

One way to dodge this would be to do the islands first and Mondulkiri later. This would avoid the boat schedule concerns and instead you could get a morning bus from Sen Monorom direct to Phnom Penh which would get you into town around midday/13:00 and so in time for your flight!

So, just to mix them up, another itinerary could be something like:
Siem Reap 3 nights
Phnom Penh 2 nights
Koh Rong 3 nights
Kampot 2 nights
Phnom Penh 1 night
Mondulkiri 4 nights
Phnom Penh -> exit

So drop Battambang, keep it to just one island and do Mondulkiri last to save you needing to overnight in Phnom Penh.

All this planning is making my feet itch!

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,789
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by amnicoll on 29/11/2016 at 04:42

Mine too Somtam but at least yours are in the warm!

If it were me I would see if I could get from Kampot up to Mondulkiri in the same day (yes a long day) and give myself the safety of being in Phnom Penh the night before. At least if you are coming up from Sihanoukville the bus will pass very close to the airport so you can hop off but from Mondulkiri they will have to in and out of PP

With regards to Battambang I was very much picking up on the phrase as being a place not to miss true it is not my cup of tea but I do like the surrounds but it did not seem to fit comfortably with the time

#7 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 811

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.