Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Ok folks, I need your advice

Posted by DTQ on 14/12/2007 at 20:20

Posted from within Vietnam.

Heading from Vietnam to Malaysia. I have one free day. I am going to spend it in Cambodia. I am going to fly in somewhere, spend a day and night, and fly out.

Should I spend that day in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh?

Another traveler I met on my trip through SE Asia said that Angkor Wats was the highlight of his trip, but I almost feel like if I can only go one place in Cambodia, it should be Phnom Penh.

So forgetting cost and airline schedules and all of that (hopefully I can figure that out later), if you could only spend one day in Cambodia, which of those two destinations-or am I leaving out something entirely-would it be?

Thanks for your help.

#1 DTQ has been a member since 15/11/2007. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/12/2007 at 21:15 admin

Hi DTQ,

My vote would be for Siem Reap. Aim to be on a flight that arrives there by around 3pm, go check in to some guesthouse, then head straight to Angkor to buy a one-day pass. The pass is valid for the next day, but you'll also be allowed into the part after 4pm the day you arrive, so you effectively get 1.5 days (not that is matters as you're leaving the next day anyway). That afternoon go check out a couple of ruins and grab sunset, then Siem Reap for the evening. Next morning, drag yourself outa bed real early... like 5am early... and get out there again for dawn. See dawn and a couple more temples, then out, checkout, airport, off to Malaysia.

That's my two cents.

Don't forget to grab a copy of our Siem Reap guide while you're at it!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by pencilmein on 15/12/2007 at 16:07

siem reap for sure.go and see the temples duing the day than take the sunset tour of tonle sap lake..

#3 pencilmein has been a member since 12/12/2007. Posts: 7

Posted by steveatkins on 23/12/2007 at 16:10

Big shame you are only going to be in Cambodia for a day, but as that's the case you almost have to go to see the Angkor temples...

#4 steveatkins has been a member since 15/6/2007. Posts: 33

Posted by rocketgirl on 27/12/2007 at 09:11

Posted from within Vietnam.

My vote goes to Angkor too, it was the best thing I saw in Cambodia and definitely one of the main highlights of my entire 6 month, round South East Asia trip!!

#5 rocketgirl has been a member since 1/10/2007. Posts: 22

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.