Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

SE asia newbie

Posted by Susanh on 23/12/2016 at 22:49

Hi planning a trip to include Vietnam and Cambodia, only have 2/12 wks or so. I thought Ankgor would be the place to see, but it's off my path. I really want to enjoy the whole of Vietnam and Cambodia. If I have limited time is it well spent to go to Ankgor Wat? This will likely be my only trip to SE asia...

#1 Susanh has been a member since 23/12/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by amnicoll on 28/12/2016 at 01:25

You do not have time to the whole of Vietnam or the whole of Cambodia let alone both

You will need to prioritise and only you can decide. If you do go you really should spend 3 days there at least.

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 769
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by flijten on 29/12/2016 at 18:13

I agree that you can not do both countries fully. You can get a reasonable overview of Cambodia and southern Vietnam but doing Vietnam North to South and Cambodia is too much. I spent 6 weeks in those countries combined and that was already stretching it. If you can fly in to Cambodia and out of Saigon then you might have something to work with.

You could spent a bit of time in PP, see Angkor for a couple of days and maybe add in either Battambang (for small city and rural Cambodia at a quick glance) or do one of the coastal destinations before taking a boat to Vietnam. Basically you could do one, maybe two destinations outside of Saigon, which you'd have to fly out of again.

Keep in mind that, unless your budget allows for flying around, travel is sort of slowish.

Having said all that, Angkor is an amazing site, and a must see if you're close. It is heavily touristed, but with good reason. 3 days was enough to get a reasonable overview. I'd lean more to spending all time in either of the two countries though. And please do not make this your last visit to SEA :D

#3 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 12

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.