Text page

Cambodia

Cambodia forum

first time traveller to cambodia

Posted by glennfleur on 12/1/2017 at 03:57

Hi all
My husband and i are travelling to Cambodia for the first time in March for approx 2 weeks. My vision (may be dillusional ) is to travel from Siem Reap to Kampong Thom to Steung Treng to Kratie to Sen Monorom to Kampong Charm (sorry still going) possibly Phom Penh then Kampot to finish off. argh i know :)

so
how to i get from place to place
what is the best accommodation - we are open to anything
my husband is capable on a motorbike
what are the recommendations
:)
any advice is greatfully accepted
cheers
fleur

#1 glennfleur has been a member since 13/6/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by flijten on 12/1/2017 at 04:49

That are eight locations over 14 days. Travel will take you half days in a lot of occasions. With flying in and out you loose even more time, so it seems like a stacked schedule. Angkor alone is worth at least 2 to 3 days.

If you were going to rent a motorbike, then things will improve because you're not stuck on bus schedules, but even then, you're not going to be going 70mph. Covering ground quickly just isn't a thing. These distances may look short but PP to siem reap was a night bus for me for instance, even though it may just be 300 kilometers.

#2 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 80

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/1/2017 at 09:47 admin

Well as you suggested delusional, I'll go with that :-)

That's quite a glad basket of destinations and I'm not really seeing a common theme across it. If you could give a bit more info about your interests etc, can probably give some more practical advice on alternatives

I mean, theoretically the trip is doable, but I would rearrange to something like:

Siem Reap
Kompong Thom
Phnom Penh
Kompong Cham
Sen Monorom
Kratie
Stung Treng
and then a long dash back to Kampot

Unusual route and I wouldn't recommend covering that much ground in two weeks.

Cheers

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Posted by Heylookitsdaz on 15/1/2017 at 00:53

We are on our last day of a 3 week trip in Cambodia and I'd agree with the other replies that you are probably looking to squeeze too much in to 14 days, especially if you want to take some time to immerse and get to understand the rich culture and history of the country.

As a first time traveller you probably need a few days in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap to learn about the history and see the temples etc. Kampot is great to slow things back down at the end of your trip, I'd recommend a few nights perhaps mix between staying in town and in the river (very different experiences to each other) and do a day trip to Kep. Consider Battambang also, just a few hours from Siem Reap.

Getting around I'd recommend mini bus if you aren't biking. A compromise between cost and time spent versus slower (cheaper) buses. We've used both Giant Ibis and Mekong Express, both decent quality. You can book tickets online (Google their Web sites) or head to their offices in all major towns a day or so before and book (and select your seats, up front is better).

Enjoy the trip you'll love it here.

#4 Heylookitsdaz has been a member since 14/1/2017. Location: Earth. Posts: 2

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.