Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

First Time in Asia

Posted by mrsb1803 on 15/2/2017 at 06:51

Hi All

Husband and I (late 50's) are planning our trip for November. We travel quite often but just Europe and the US so this year we're heading further east.

Want to see all the usual tourist sites and some of the real Cambodia, learn about the people and history.
We are not beach lovers but would like to wind down for the last few days.
Work dictates only 2 weeks so any comments & suggestions to the itinerary below would be very welcome.

Leaving from Heathrow
4 nights Siem Reap -Golden Temple Residence
3 nights Battambang - No idea for hotel yet
3 nights Phnom Penh - Pavillion
3 nights Kep - Mealea Resort

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have more questions later

#1 mrsb1803 has been a member since 13/2/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by amnicoll on 16/2/2017 at 04:24

For me Kep is a place to go for lunch and I would stay in Kampot

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 812
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by mikal83 on 2/3/2017 at 16:04

we travelled from Kep to Kpot, PP to Battam boat to SR, bus to ST then north to Laos. We were then, (2 yrs ago), 57 and 54. Where to stay depends on your budget, we used this site and booking.com and then opted for 2/3 * places. (Were tight).

#3 mikal83 has been a member since 19/1/2015. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 111
 Send mikal83 a private message   Where has mikal83 been? 

Posted by amnicoll on 3/3/2017 at 04:47

Tight!

hardly I am of similar age and go for the no star places

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 812

Posted by neharani on 3/3/2017 at 22:35

Wow that is amazing that you and your husband is planning a trip to Asia..i must say good choice for the trip..you will enjoy a lot and will have a very good time..your itenary has planned well..after returning back make sure to share your experiences..

#5 neharani has been a member since 23/2/2017. Posts: 30

Posted by DerekH on 6/3/2017 at 19:16

The Jasmine Hotel in Battambang is a good hotel only new we were there in Nov 16. Also stay at Kampot not Kep . Kep makes a great day trip from Kampot. Cheers and safe travel. By the way we are 69 and 73.Also make sure you do the Bamboo train in Battambang.

#6 DerekH has been a member since 24/9/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by amnicoll on 7/3/2017 at 04:40

I agree about kep. Just a thought but what about spending the last 3 days in a village if you are interested have a look at Chi Phat

This is their web page but you can also check out the pages here on travelfish
http://www.chi-phat.org/

These shots by drone were taken by a friend of mine when we were there

http://chiphat.johnriddell.co.uk/youtube.html

#7 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 812

Posted by MichaelW on 10/3/2017 at 02:23

I might be slightly biased, since I live in Kep , but I'd say there's nothing wrong with visiting Kep for a few days, especially if the purpose is to unwind instead of doing activities. Kep has plenty of great places to eat and the upper-range resorts are lovely, if one can afford them (sounds like the OP can, though).

#8 MichaelW has been a member since 16/4/2016. Posts: 12

Posted by mikal83 on 12/3/2017 at 14:15

Oh and you must go to the bat cave at dusk, well worth a few hrs. (In B'bang)

#9 mikal83 has been a member since 19/1/2015. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 111
 Send mikal83 a private message   Where has mikal83 been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.