Text page

Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Border crossing Laos to Stung Treng. Safety?

Posted by lajoy9 on 20/2/2017 at 10:01

Hi , I am in Laos right now and planning to cross to Cambodia early March. Having read through Travelfish newsletter just now the article regarding Laotian military invading Cambodia around Stung Treng; I am questioning if I should just change my itinerary and not go there. I had planned to spend 4 days at the Mekong Bird resort near Stung Treng. Having never been there, it worries me. Can anyone knowledgeable in this area help?

#1 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/2/2017 at 18:38 admin

I think the area they are talking about, while in the same province, is a fair way from Stung Treng town itself and the border crossing you would use when coming from Laos. The Daily has a follow-up today to the piece in the newsletter yesterday, downplaying the situation.

My advice would be to not change your plans. These kind of dramas flare up occasionally, but it seems unlikely (at this stage) that this drama has legs.

But yes, keep an eye on the news.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Posted by lajoy9 on 23/2/2017 at 02:43

Thank you Sontham for the fast reply and the info on the second article from the paper. I will keep me eyes on the news and go on with my plans. Will try to adjust accordingly.
Cheers
Lajoy

#3 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Posted by gbloom on 26/2/2017 at 03:06

Agree with somtam2000. This isn't a new dispute and it's in Siem Pang - a remote outpost removed from the international border crossing north of Stung Treng. I went over this border southbound last Sunday (18 Feb) after having crossed northbound two days earlier. Piece of cake either way. No foot or vehicle traffic, easy crossing. You'll pay an extra $2 in tea money departing each country, and an extra $1 entering each way on top of your visa fee. That is the only 'drama'.

#4 gbloom has been a member since 22/3/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by lajoy9 on 17/3/2017 at 05:05

Hi, just wanted to say that all went well with our own border crossing from Laos 4000 islands to Stung Treng by Sorya Bus company. We paid $1 each to get out of Laos, and another $1 because we didn't have our vaccines proof on us( was in the luggage, on the bus!) That is all we paid. It took about 45 minutes.

Some people paid $5 to someone from Sorya Bus( or maybe it was a "freelancer" not sure. He said it would be faster to let him take care of the visas etc. People gave hem their passeports. About 1/3 of the bus passengers. It took 2 hours at border because of that. And some passeport were missing so a guy went by motorbike to get back the missing passeports. They put those passeports loose in the motorbikes basket...

#5 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.