Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Boat from Siem Reap to Battambang

Posted by Ashe88 on 30/12/2007 at 09:44

Hey guys,
I was hoping to hear from someone that has done this trip sort-of recently. I'm wondering whether it's advisable to get a share taxi to Battambang and then hire a small wooden boat to check out the scenery or bite the bullet and take the boat (sort of killing 2 birds with 1 stone). I'm just not sure because one second I hear it's fine and totally worth it and the next I hear the boats are death-traps and not worth it. I need the fial word on this one... : )
Anxious to hear from anyone
Ashe

#1 Ashe88 has been a member since 19/11/2007. Posts: 24

Posted by somtam2000 on 30/12/2007 at 10:59 admin

The trip is really beautiful, I wouldn't say the boats are deathtraps, but they're way overloaded and generally have no life-saving equipment. In dry season they regularly run aground, though I'm yet to hear of anyone actually drowning.

The most beautiful part of the trip is from the mouth of the Sangkar river onwards to Battambang, so you could see some of that from Battambang by boat rather than having to do the cross lake trip.

If you're not overly freaked out by dodgy boat rides, then I'd say it is certainly worth doing -- once. If I had to commute from Battambang to Siem Reap I'd be taking the taxi!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by steveatkins on 30/12/2007 at 15:52

You can always charter a boat then there are no worries about it being overloaded plus you have more control over the captain. However, you are probably looking at $150 plus...

#3 steveatkins has been a member since 15/6/2007. Posts: 33

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.