Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Ratanakiri or Modulkiri

Posted by jeannem on 10/9/2017 at 00:16

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi. I am having to cut my trip a bit shorter and now can only do either Ratanakiri (Banlung) or Mondulkiri (Sen Monorom) instead of both.
I need advice on which is better and why?
I have done the elephant sanctuary thing in Thailand so am not wanting to do it again in Mondulkiri.
Please can you help!

#1 jeannem has been a member since 2/4/2017. Posts: 5
 Send jeannem a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/9/2017 at 00:23 admin

What are you interested in?

They both have fairly lengthy coverage here on the site, so perhaps useful to get some ideas - you can see the guides here for Banlung and Sen Monorom —my comment would be if you are not interested in the elephant side of things, than Banlung might be a better option.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,845
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by jeannem on 10/9/2017 at 00:33

I've read all the info on the travelfish site and both sound great, which is why the decision seems to be so difficult.
I was leaning towards Banlung, but I have had 2 locals tell me that Mondulkiri is more beautiful, so now I'm even more undecided.

#3 jeannem has been a member since 2/4/2017. Posts: 5

Posted by jeannem on 10/9/2017 at 00:35

Just a heads up.... I'm currently in Kompong Cham in Cambodia, so I'm not sure why it is showing that I posted from Vietnam?

#4 jeannem has been a member since 2/4/2017. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/9/2017 at 00:41 admin

Hi,

Yeah that is a weird one - the IP address you’re posting from is registered to Hanoi, hence the flag. If you click on this link it will probably tell you you are in Hanoi.

As you've pointed out it is not always accurate, (I’m in Bali at the moment but it says I am in Jakarta) but is very helpful to us for catching dodgy Vietnamese travel agents pretending to be travellers.

Apols for the hassle.

Stuart

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,845
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/9/2017 at 00:43 admin

Yeah I'd say Sen Monorom is more beautiful, but Ban Lung has the crater lake which is great — hard call.

There's always Kratie — much closer to where you are, the village homestays on the island across from there are great.

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,845

Posted by jeannem on 10/9/2017 at 00:45

No probs re the IP!

Now to decide between Sen Monoro and Banlung!

#7 jeannem has been a member since 2/4/2017. Posts: 5

Posted by jeannem on 10/9/2017 at 00:49

The plan was to go to Kratie, then East to Sen Monorom, then North to Banlung, then West to Stung Treng and then up to Laos.

Now my choices are:
1) From Kompng Cham to Sen Monorom, Kratie, Stung Treng, Laos
2) From Kompng Cham to Kratie, Stung Treng, Banlung, Laos

#8 jeannem has been a member since 2/4/2017. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.