Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

booking.com or just rock up for islands in late March?

Posted by spoonz on 2/1/2018 at 10:59

We are returning to Cambodia in March. Me, wife and 8 yr old daughter. I've been many times over the years but I know things have changed a lot. I really hate booking.com for the way it has changed travel but I know it can be hard to avoid sometimes. We used it last year in Thailand ( high season ) and really didn't like the way it fixed us into a plan because we had run past the cancellation period.

Anyway, looking for a quiet island in Cambodia. So far I have my eyes on Lazy beach ( not on booking.com which is great) or Koh Ta Kiev bungalows which have places on booking.com or some where on Saracen bay. We would be arriving end of March, start of April. Anyone know if we have a good chance of just phoning ahead or booking when we arrive in Sihanoukville? Or should we book on agoda or booking.com now?

We want to be flexible as possible as we are traveling overland from Bangkok and want to stop on the way if we feel like it without rushing. Thanks.

#1 spoonz has been a member since 27/12/2016. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/1/2018 at 04:45 admin

The online agents are a bit of a two edged sword, sometimes save you money, sometimes not. Sometimes added convenience, sometimes not. Mixed bag.

To your questions!

I was sure LazyBeach was mentioned in the NYT a few months ago, tho I can't find the story, but regardless, it is a popular place, so while it isn't on Booking/Agoda etc, I would say booking with them direct would be prudent. Even in late March.

Or, and this goes for Ko Ta Kiev as well, email them direct and ask them, should I book, or should I be ok just showing up/giving you a call a day or so before—nobody knows guest flows better than the property themselves!

Ko Ta Kiev is quieter, probably less of a need to book in advance, but if you know your dates and you know where you want to stay, then no real harm done in booking it.

Late March/early April is shoulder season. You’re there before the New Years celebrations, so crowds should be lower than Jan/Feb but Sihanoukville in general going through massive changes so hard to say.

At end of day it is difficult to have both ways. If you want the flexibility to take a day here or there enroute, then don't book, but the cost is perhaps not getting to stay where you want. If you know where you want to stay and don’t want to “miss out” book.

Cheers!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,972
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.