Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Chi Phat?

Posted by Bunnytjah on 9/9/2018 at 11:04

Hi guys!

Has anybody been to Chi Phat lately? Would you recommend it?

The whole ecotourism concept looks really great, but when you start reading reviews it would appear that the organisation behind it tends to neglect the project organizationally and is forgetting about the community..

We would love to visit and support a project like this, but we don't fancy another brush with a NGO mafia situation..

Lot's of love!

#1 Bunnytjah has been a member since 30/8/2018. Location: Belgium. Posts: 2
 Send Bunnytjah a private message 

Posted by amnicoll on 10/9/2018 at 05:13

I am a regular visitor spending two months a year there and highly recommend Chi Phat and I have to say that many of the posts do not reflect the reality

I really do not believe the post about people throwing stones if true then I imagine they must have done something totally offensive but I have never met any villager who has heard of this incident.

The couple who complained about chi phat being dirty and problems at new year had totally unrealistic expectations (I know as I met them)

The homestays are basic but the families are lovelybut unless you want hot water and a/c then the bungalows are all very comfortable and well appointed. The guest houses vary some similar to the homestays others with self contained or a little more comfortable (there are many very positive reviews of the various places)

The CBET organization it is true is not in any way perfect but if anything it is not a case of them forgetting about the community but if anything it is the opposite and it is the village these days that run the organisation.

The villagers are all very friendly and there is no hassle

Many of the guides speak good English so ask for a guide who does speak good English but I have not heard of bad reports about the guides whose English is poor.

No need to book accommodation in advance.

Hope this helps but feel free to come back with more specific questions.

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 931
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Bunnytjah on 30/9/2018 at 06:20

Hi Amnicoll!

Thanks for the insight! We don't need a lot of luxury, just some human kindness ;)
Do you let the NGO choose your sleeping spot? Are there any activities there that you recommend?
We'll probably be visiting the project on our motorcycle trip to the mangrove area (we're looking at staying at the rainbow lodge). Do you have any idea about the state of the roads between Ankor What and Chi Path? Would you recommend the trip by motorcycle?

Have a great weekend!

#3 Bunnytjah has been a member since 30/8/2018. Location: Belgium. Posts: 2
 Send Bunnytjah a private message 

Posted by amnicoll on 30/9/2018 at 06:35

The way it works is that you can chose the bungalows but if you arrive with no booking then you should accept the guesthouse or homestay allocated but of course you can book these in advance or indeed arrive and make a specific request. BTW it is not the NGO at all but the village community who elect representatives who handle all the bookings and so on

There is plenty to do in the village so it is down to you but me just chill out with the locals

There is no problem in reaching Chi Phat by bike from Siem Reap (but it is a long way ) if you are using roads. The last 15 Klms is by a dirt road in reasonable repair (turn off main road by Klm 47 marker) and is signposted at every junction and is used by the locals on their bikes so just go carefully

from Chi Phat to Tatai for the Rainbow lodge is about 100Klms and again once you hit the main road it is fine

Far more problematic would be trying to go through the jungle on bikes

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 931
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by neharani on 4/11/2018 at 23:49

Chi Phat is one of the best Eco tourism place in Combodia.

The commune consists four villages:Chi-Phat, Komlot, Chom-Sla and T'k La'o. The commune population is estimated around 3,000 inhabitants (2010). The residents makes their living mainly out of agriculture, fishing and tourism .

Fresh Air and Homely environment will give you a great travel experience .
Enjoy

#5 neharani has been a member since 23/2/2017. Posts: 36

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.