Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Prek Chek/Xa Xia border

Posted by fondo on 27/5/2019 at 09:30

Does anyone have a realistic estimate of the distance between these Cambodian and Vietnamese border posts? I was thinking of walking but the more I search the longer it gets!

#1 fondo has been a member since 23/6/2006. Posts: 184
 Where has fondo been? 

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by fondo on 28/5/2019 at 07:36

OK, the answer to the question is around 800 metres start to finish.
Contrary to the many horror stories out there in cyberspace, especially relating to the opposite direction, this border crossing turned out to be dead easy. I was never looking for the cheapest way - and it is not peak season - but this is how it happened for us today:
Lady Fondo and I got into a car at Mea Culpa in Kampot at 8.50 am.
We hit the border at 9.35 am.
We wandered through the Cambodian side - had our passports and VN visa checked three times - then strolled about 500 metres to the Vietnamese side.
We assured the VN medical experts of our rude health and allowed them to relieve us of 1USD each, then completed the real formalities.
We jumped in a taxi straight away - I did slide a couple of dollars on top of my intended spend here but we hit the hotel in Ha Tien at 10.20 am and had changed money, sorted out onward travel over lunch at the Oasis Bar, and organised a SIM by just after 1pm.
Didn’t see any other foreigners, the ‘help’ offered at the VN border was pretty benign, and, as I’m sure anyone who has been there knows, the Oasis Bar were very helpful.

#2 fondo has been a member since 23/6/2006. Posts: 184
 Where has fondo been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.