Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Phnom Penh or Ho Chi Minh????

Posted by convery on 12/3/2008 at 12:57

My travel through SE Asia is on a very tight schedule and I'm gonna have to take out a few cities in order to fully experience the ones I'll visit.

Any thoughts on PhnomPenh to HoChiMinh, which one should I choose? Which has more to see/do and so on?

thanks for any help.

#1 convery has been a member since 9/3/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by marianwarren on 12/3/2008 at 16:22

Hi convery

What time frame are you talking? It does depend on where you have been before and where you are going afterwards. They are both very different cities and there isn't a sliding scale to compare cultures. I'm sure there is enough information on the Travelfish site for you to check out and help you make a decision either way.

#2 marianwarren has been a member since 12/3/2006. Posts: 270

Posted by convery on 12/3/2008 at 18:57

I will be coming from Siem Reap and then flying out to KualaLumpur, Malaysia afterwards. So I just have about 3 days to spend in one of the two cities. and this will be during mid-June.
I'm just trying to figure out, in terms of the # of attractions there are to see and things to do. I'm sure they are both culturally amazing, and I will be back to see the one that I miss. But for the sake of this trip, I'd like to visit the one that has the most.

Interested in historial sites, good food, nightlife, cultural shows/activities.

#3 convery has been a member since 9/3/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by lauraskrink on 17/3/2008 at 14:07

Personally i have Ho Chi Minh a bit of wide bearth only travelling through to get to Phnom Penh. We really liked Phnom Penh there is a good cafe culture down on the river and there are lots of interesting cultural things to do... Palace, National Museum, S21 prison, Killing Fields, Wat Phnom etc

Plus it is much closer to Siem Reap (about 6 hours by one of the many coach companies) but you'll another 6 hours on top of that, plus the visa fee to reach Ho Chi Minh. PP is probably an easier town to see as i believe it is quite a bit smaller than Ho Chi.

Hope that is helpful

#4 lauraskrink has been a member since 20/9/2007. Posts: 7

Posted by pobney on 20/3/2008 at 17:43

I just returned days ago having spent a week in both places. I would recommend, given your priorities, Phnom Penh. Much better nightlife.

#5 pobney has been a member since 20/3/2008. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.