Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

ATM's dispense what currency, $ or riel?

Posted by jourdin on 29/5/2008 at 15:03

I have seen conflicting stories about what ATM's dispense, riel and/or US dollars.

What's the true story? Do some machines dispense two different currencies? How does one know what currency a machine dispenses?

#1 jourdin has been a member since 29/5/2008. Posts: 10

Posted by exacto on 30/5/2008 at 09:17

hi jourdin,

unlike thailand or laos or vietnam, which dispense local currency from their ATMs, you'll find that the international ATMs in cambodia do dispense US dollars, which is the general preferred currency for all but the smallest purchases in cambodia. there are also ATMs which dispense riel, but i'm pretty sure you have to have a local, riel-denominated account for that. so, in cambodia, particularly at the ANZ ATMs, expect to get dollars. elsewhere in southeast asia, you can expect to get local currency. hope that helps. cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,651
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by loumoscrop on 5/6/2008 at 13:52

Posted from within Vietnam.

Does anyone know if they charge you to take money out. I am British with a Nationwide Visa Card

#3 loumoscrop has been a member since 9/5/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by exacto on 6/6/2008 at 07:25

sorry, can't necessarily help you with that info since i was withdrawing money from a US dollar-denominated account in the states. i do remember that there was no additional charge for those withdrawals - it was exactly the same number of dollars i withdrew. i'd expect that you'll have some sort of a currency exchange charge on your nationwide card, since you'll be exchanging pounds for dollars. perhaps you can call nationwide and find out what their policy and rates/fees are. regards.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,651
 Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.