Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Thailand, Cambodia Vietnam coastal kayaking trip

Posted by Xplorer on 8/7/2008 at 09:37

My partner and I would like to take 2 months and kayak the gulf of thailand and the South China sea. Dropping in at Rayong/Thai and paddling down to say Ko Chan, then along/into Cambodia to say Ko Kong. Continuing on stopping to camp etc - & If possible down along the coast to the Rach Gia/Vietnam. This is our rough plan as of yet. Any feedback about how realistic this is would be most appreciated. Thanks so much!

#1 Xplorer has been a member since 8/7/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/7/2008 at 14:55 admin

That would be a very, very interesting trip.

Formality wise you'd need to cross at the land crossings (Haad Lek/Ko Kong and Prey Chak, Xe Xia -- see the border crossing FAQ for more info), but once you'd cleared customs, it shouldn't be a problem to go back to the water and keep paddling.

My only other advice would be regarding exercising caution along the Cambodian stretch -- especially between Ko Kong and Ko Sdach -- this remains pretty wild territory, and paddling around in a kayak would make you fairly tempting prey for opportunist thugs.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,644
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by nksheridan on 30/8/2008 at 04:24

Hi, I've been looking at a trip around the gulf of Thailand from say Ko Chang to Tak Bai. I'm aware that the gulf of Thailand has been done but not past Cambodia.

Have you got any further with your research. I'd be especially interested!

#3 nksheridan has been a member since 30/8/2008. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 1

Posted by cambtek on 3/9/2008 at 22:54

Just had a great two day trip through kampot,kompong saom(snookyville) and back through kampot to kaep,thjrough kampong trach back to angasoam and on to home in phnom penh.
I have a nice late model mercedes with plenty of room for the khmer family and all the fruits and frogs and stuff that they must buy along the way.
The beach at KS was beautiful,the wet season is almost over it seems and the water was flat and the BBQ squid and beer was as cheap as ever.
Dad didnt approve of the barang ladies swim suits so we headed home this morning via kaep where I had to inspect some work on my land.
Kaep was glorious,blue skies after a shower ,last night and the drive through kampong trach through the limestone mountains was wonderful.

#4 cambtek has been a member since 26/8/2008. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.