Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Laos or Cambodia

Posted by gromi1705 on 14/7/2008 at 15:10

Want to travel to either country mid october for 3 weeks.
As I do not want to rush and really get a good impression (mainly traveling for landscape and people)I am thinking of either doing Northern Laos or Cambodia (Siem Reap, Battanbang, Pnom Penh, Kratie and Kep, (Ratankiri?)).
Any advices which country to choose?
Suggested itineris welcome.
I might have the chance to add 1 week for beach but Sihanoukville doesn't sound to inviting (prefer the quiet)

#1 gromi1705 has been a member since 14/7/2008. Posts: 9

Posted by smartso on 15/7/2008 at 00:06

If it was up to me I'd pick Northern Laos over Cambodia. By and large I found the scenery in Cambodia a little lack luster as it tends to be on the flatter side. Laos on the other hand is stunning, especially up north. I'd look into doing some treks out into one of the NPAs :)

#2 smartso has been a member since 11/4/2008. Posts: 13

Posted by gromi1705 on 15/7/2008 at 01:10

Thanks for your reply! Sounds good for me :-) Would you give some comments on what should be on the itinerary in North Laos?

#3 gromi1705 has been a member since 14/7/2008. Posts: 9

Posted by Dasu on 28/7/2008 at 09:11

Hi gromi1705. I agree with smartso. The landscape in Northern Laos is stunning and the people are much more layed back then Cambodia. I would start in Vientiene and take a bus north to VangVieng, another bus to Luang Prabang. Use these cities as your bases and venture out from them. It's hard to say how long in each place, it all depends on how much you like each one. From Luang Prabang take the two day slow boat up the Mekong River to Huay Xai. From there cross into Thailand and bus to Chiang Mai.

Although this route is fairly heavily travelled, there is a good reason for this, beatiful landscape, cheap travel and amazing people.

All the best in your travels

#4 Dasu has been a member since 20/7/2008. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.