Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Flying from Siem Reap to Luang Prabang

Posted by Brisbod on 17/8/2008 at 18:36

Can someone please let me know what airlines fly Siem Reap to Luang Prabang? I have checked Lao Airline's website and they don't appear to fly every day. We were hoping to fly Sunday, 12 October.

#1 Brisbod has been a member since 9/6/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 20

Posted by TonyL on 18/8/2008 at 07:57

The Siem Reap to LP route is covered by Siem Reap Airlines. They are one of the three airlines that form the consortium for the Discovery Air Pass.

I think that they have at least daily flights but you can get their schedule by going to the Canby Publications web site via Google. i have flown with them and they seem to fly planes that are OK - not held together with elastic bands.

#2 TonyL has been a member since 19/12/2006. Posts: 46

Posted by TonyL on 18/8/2008 at 08:11

I have just given you the incorrect information I'm afraid. Siem Reap Airlines only fly to Vientiene not LP. I have just looked at the Lao Airlines schedule - m ind you their times are a moveable feast - and they cover the route every day except Tuesday. You might be wise to check with your travel agent rather than the internet as the latest flight times are now posted - i just got them from Flight Centre.

In regards to your other question in the Laos section of the forum Lao Airlines has a daily flight from LP to Chiang Mai - again it would be wise to get the latest info via a travel agent.

#3 TonyL has been a member since 19/12/2006. Posts: 46

Posted by Brisbod on 21/8/2008 at 19:03

Thanks for your reply Tony. It's looking like we will have to change our schedule around a little and fly different days which means we will gain extra time in Siem Reap but lose a day in Chiang Mai. I just have one further question - will we need to prebook flights on the internet or can we book once we arrive in Siem Reap (there are 4 in our party)?

#4 Brisbod has been a member since 9/6/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 20

Posted by TonyL on 22/8/2008 at 08:11

My advice would be to book in advance. There is a phony web site for Lao Airlines which comes up when you try to get the genuine one on the internet - its based in Paris I believe. Unless you are using the Discovery Pass which requires 3 flights minimum I would suggest that you book before you depart and via an Oz travel agent. I dont think that an internet booking directly with the airline will be any cheaper and could prove a nightmare

#5 TonyL has been a member since 19/12/2006. Posts: 46

Posted by Brisbod on 23/8/2008 at 05:58

Thanks for the advice Tony. I'll go and talk to a travel agent here, as advised.

#6 Brisbod has been a member since 9/6/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 20

Posted by Brisbod on 25/8/2008 at 10:55

Help !!! Please see my further post in Laos forum regarding this topic.

#7 Brisbod has been a member since 9/6/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 20

Posted by jmeharchand on 23/10/2009 at 18:23

We are trying to book a flight from Siem Reap to Luang Prabang for January 2010 using the official Lao Airline site. We get as far as choosing flight and putting in our names but then can go no further! Have tried internet explorer as well as safari. Flight is a codeshare with vietnam airlines but was significantly cheaper on the lao airline website. May have to just try Vietnam airlines instead. Any advice would be appreciated.

#8 jmeharchand has been a member since 12/10/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by jasonkim8486 on 4/11/2009 at 08:18

has anyone tried this route by land?? flight prices seem steep for my budget.

#9 jasonkim8486 has been a member since 15/9/2009. Location: United States. Posts: 81

Posted by demoKam on 4/11/2009 at 17:52

In Siem Reap now and the cheapest I'm finding is 148$, direct (I think) on Vietnam airlines... their website is asking something like 300 but agencies are offering the lower price.

#10 demoKam has been a member since 6/10/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by m__arta on 9/11/2009 at 02:45

Be careful about booking Vietnam Airlines tickets. We tried 2 times on their website. Booking was ok, but not the payment (the card was drawn, but VA claims they haven't received the payment). We tried once more, paid the second time which let us buy just one ticket (reservation was for 2).Vietnam Airlaines office which we finally found is not too helpful - they don't understand what happened and advice not to worry.

#11 m__arta has been a member since 9/11/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by jmeharchand on 29/11/2009 at 22:01

thanks, have booked on Vietnam Airlines, seems to have gone through OK for 2 flights. We will fly in Jan, X fingers and hope it works.

#12 jmeharchand has been a member since 12/10/2009. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.