Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

latest visa price at Had lek/Koh Kong

Posted by sayadian on 11/9/2008 at 15:53

Can anyone tell me what the price for $20/25 visa is currently at this border crossing. I heard the Cambodian immigration are getting greedier and expect 1400 baht! or has this problem been addressed and the correct price charged (do pigs fly?) I have to decide which border to cross in 2 weeks time. I'd prefer KK but am reluctant to support this scam.Thanks all.

#1 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by Lother on 11/9/2008 at 18:00

Well, officials at both the Had Lek and Poipet crossings have been overcharging wildly lately. At the Poipet crossing two months ago I had a long discussion (in Khmer) with the official but still had to pay 1000B in the end, even though the real prices are clearly displayed above the booth. At the Had Lek crossing people have been asked 1100, 1200 or even 1300B, but with a little negotiation the price has usually come down to 1000B. Still a pretty big scam though.

#2 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214
 Send Lother a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/9/2008 at 06:00 admin

Easiest solution to the clowns on this border crossing is to get your visa beforehand in Bangkok.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by sayadian on 12/9/2008 at 20:31

thanks, but I will not be stopping in Bangkok, straight through to the border overnight.
The other possibility-e-visa looks like it is unsafe now.
Anybody have any recent experience of e-visa?

#4 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by cybervlad on 20/10/2008 at 11:52

> Anybody have any recent experience of e-visa?
I have got Cambodian e-visa one week ago.

#5 cybervlad has been a member since 6/6/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 182
 Send cybervlad a private message   Website 

Posted by BDV on 21/1/2009 at 22:35

the e-visa site seems to be up and down...applied last Sunday and visa was in my inbox first thing Monday morning.

Am traveling across on the 23rd.. Will see how it goes and post here.

#6 BDV has been a member since 27/9/2008. Posts: 20

Posted by Traveller2009 on 30/1/2009 at 10:22

We applied for an e-visa 7days ago and and have heard nothing. We have sent emails to the dept of Foreign affairs from the evisa website and received nothing back. We called the number which is very very expensive from Thailand and could not get through except for one time when they asked us to hold and then came back after 3 minutes and hung up the phone.

The money was taken from the credit card the same day (23rd January) as the e-visa was applied for.

We have proceeded to pay for another visa today.

Do not do e-visa unless you want to spend about 2,500 baht to get your Cambodian tourist visa (twice).

we still check on the website and it says the application is still pending and so is the payment, even though they got our money 7 days ago when it came off the credit card, which we checked.

What a scam.

#7 Traveller2009 has been a member since 30/1/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by jamesspignesi on 30/1/2009 at 21:14

THE VISA SCAM! Crossed the border at Had Lek knowing that the visa should have been $20 american dollars. Traveled with my thai girlfriend (who should have entered for free to any southeast asian crossing. The nasty looking commie b***h with glasses demanded 1500 baht each. When i kindly mentioned to her that i had no baht and mentioned the visas are $20 out of Bangkok, her reply was .You will now pay $30 dollars each! Having already stamped out of Thailand i could not refuse. Had i known of this situation and what i went through with the taxi thugs numbering about 20 outside the door. I would have never entered Cambodia. At this point after visiting the country for about ten days, i decided never to return. After nine years of solid travel in southeast asia, traveling to Thailand,Laos, Malaysia, and Burma, i just never felt at ease there. Always felt like i had to be looking behind my back.

#8 jamesspignesi has been a member since 18/8/2008. Posts: 29

Posted by BDV on 4/2/2009 at 09:37

No problems with the e-visa on the Poipet crossing, straight through.

It does help with all the visa scams as well, just tell them you have an e-visa and they leave you alone..

#9 BDV has been a member since 27/9/2008. Posts: 20

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.