Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Accomodation Question...sorry

Posted by ElectrO on 16/9/2008 at 12:50

Hello to everyone, I hope you can help me.

I am planning on visiting Siem Reap, Ankhor Wat and Phnom Penh but I want to make this trip as authentic as possible, that means to me that I want a guest house, run by a family or something similar and not a hotel chain or anything too hotel-like.

When visiting places, I really like to taste their way of living up to a point, but would prefer some luxuries such as Hot Water and maybe internet access (although internet is not crucial).

With all the experienced travellers out there, could someone recommend me a place to stay at each of them locations?

I thank you in advance

#1 ElectrO has been a member since 16/9/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by Layabout on 19/9/2008 at 17:52

I stayed at Two Dragons G/H its run by a yank but as he says you'll get over it his name is Gordon Its a great place to stay and prices were reasonable.
Its not authentic but its a start.

#2 Layabout has been a member since 17/3/2008. Posts: 27

Posted by jgcanfield on 24/9/2008 at 13:11

In Siem Reap I'd recommend the "Golden Banana" guest house. Not too big, off the strip so it's quiet. Good rates with breakfast included. Very nice all Cambodian staff. I'm not sure about internet access but the rooms are nice and clean with ensuite bathroom with hot water.

#3 jgcanfield has been a member since 18/9/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by chrispyrolls on 24/9/2008 at 14:54

We stayed at 2 Dragons too - and had a great time.

If you do stay there you must chat to the tuk tuk drivers outside ... well when i say chat, i mean get drunk with them whilst chatting... great fun!

#4 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Send chrispyrolls a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by lovelygh on 24/9/2008 at 18:31

I would say that an authentic trip to cambodia does not include hot shower, nor internet...
Places runned by khmers families provides exactly the same as foreigner, except maybe some bed and breakfast.
You will find the authenticity outside, in the streets, when meeting khmer people going out.
Have a good trip here! People are always friendly and like to share their experiences!

#5 lovelygh has been a member since 24/9/2008. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.