Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

3 weeks in Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos or Malaysia

Posted by charliekbrooks on 22/9/2008 at 18:49

I am planning to spend 3 weeks in South East Asia in December/January and I need some advice of where to start and where the best places to go are. I have only been to Thailand before so am keen to visit the other countries. Any ideas would be really helpful as I will be travelling alone and a bit aprehensive! Thanks!

#1 charliekbrooks has been a member since 22/9/2008. Posts: 8

Posted by idreamofdurian on 22/9/2008 at 20:20 TF writer

Dec/Jan is the high season and Thailand will be bloody expensive.

This is a great time of year to be in Cambodia, Vietnam, or Laos as the weather tends to be very dry so no worries about rain to spoil your travels. Prices also don't go through the roof in these places during this time.

What do you like? Beaches, cities, culture, nature?

Borneo (east Malaysia) is freaking amazing for eco-tourism. Angkor Wat is even more amazing than the postcards. Laos is charming and mellow as it gets. Vietnam is brimming over with culture and stunning coastline, but the people aren't as friendly.

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by charliekbrooks on 22/9/2008 at 21:17

To be honest I'm looking for a relaxing trip away from my very stressful job so beaches and chilled days ideally. I don't want to totally avoid the culture though and I definitely don't want to be in areas like Koh Samui/Phuket!

I am quite keen to visit Malaysia but I'm not sure I'll have time to go south and then back up to vietnam, cambodia and laos in 3 weeks. What do you think?

Also is it necessary to book anywhere in advance at this time? I will be flying to Bangkok first so will try and book there!

#3 charliekbrooks has been a member since 22/9/2008. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.