Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Phnom Penh - Siem Reap by boat

Posted by sidhupi on 9/1/2009 at 04:16

Hi,
I'm planning a trip to Cambodia in the last week of January. I hope to spend a day in Phnom Penh and leave for Siem Reap by boat along the Tonle Sap river and Tonle Sap lake on the morning of 1 February 09.

I heard that boats don't ply during the dry season, so i wanted to confirm whether the boats would be plying during my intended day of travel. Also, please advice if advance booking would be required and how i could go about it.

#1 sidhupi has been a member since 9/1/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/1/2009 at 11:39 admin

Yes the boat should be running, no need to book in advance, though you could pick up the ticket day before if you really wanted to.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by amazon_blonde on 9/1/2009 at 20:23

is it better by boat? I've read conflicting advice, mostly that it's faster and cheaper by bus. We'll be there towards the end of February.

#3 amazon_blonde has been a member since 20/12/2008. Posts: 116

Posted by mudgeerambler on 10/1/2009 at 14:28

I did it April 07 and would say take the bus. The lake was very low and we just shouldnt have been there . there are people who survive from the fishing etc and here we were making it muddier and more polluted. The boat was nothing like we were shown and it was crowded. In the middle of the lake there is nothing to see.The boat didnt go all the way and we had to get on a bus. MY advice take the bus ,its faster and cheaper

#4 mudgeerambler has been a member since 11/4/2008. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.