Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Early morning taxi from Siem Reap to Poipet

Posted by amalie on 18/1/2009 at 07:08

Hi Guys,

We'll be travelling the SR - Poipet - BKK route in a few weeks and want to make it to Bangkok as early as possible - by lunchtime would be perfect!

Does anyone know what the earliest possible time a taxi will leave for Poipet from Siem Reap (we don't want to do the trip in the dark, and I don't think the taxi drivers would want to either!). I'm going to make a guess that it's about 5am? Anyone done this trip early? How much did the taxi cost?

Thanks for the help :)

Amalie xx

#1 amalie has been a member since 12/1/2005. Posts: 6

Posted by amalie on 21/1/2009 at 07:51

Anyone??

#2 amalie has been a member since 12/1/2005. Posts: 6

Posted by exacto on 21/1/2009 at 11:40

hi amalie,

if you haven't yet, definitely read the How Do I Get from BKK to Siem Reap article in the features section. it has info on the reverse leg as well.

my best guess is that the taxi will leave as early as you want, as long as the sun is already up. typically your guest house will have a few taxis that they work with and will arrange this trip for you.

we did this taxi ride not quite 2 years ago now and the cost for the return leg (SR to border) was only $25. the border to SR leg is (or was) the more expensive leg at about $40. i'd expect prices are higher now, even with gas prices having calmed down a bit over the last few months.

one tip i might suggest is that as soon as you get across the border into thailand, start to look for a bangkok taxi that has made the trip out and is looking for a fare to cover gas money back home. we found one that only charged us 300 baht per person for the return trip, and that was without even bargaining. even then it was less than we would have paid in bus and other fares to get back to bangers, and we saved about three to fours hours that way too.

hopefully others will chip in with more recent info for you. cheers.

in the mean time, the article i mentioned is at:

https://www.travelfish.org/feature/71

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by nathantraveler on 1/2/2009 at 22:08

Hi, I did the Siem Reap -> Poipet trip recently. I took a shared taxi for USD10, and it took 3 hours to Poipet, plus one hour in teh Thailand immigration.

#4 nathantraveler has been a member since 27/1/2009. Posts: 5

Posted by amalie on 2/2/2009 at 08:16

Thanks nathantraveler.

Have already done the trip before, just wanting to do it early as possible .. anyone out there done it at sunrise etc .. want to be at the border as early as possible x

#5 amalie has been a member since 12/1/2005. Posts: 6

Posted by wen731 on 27/8/2011 at 19:51

You can call YOUNG SAMBATH
if you need a taxi from POIPET to SIEM REAP.
He can pick you up from the border or arrange cars to pick up.
HE can speak ENGLISH fluently.
His telephone number is
002-855-16756465 or 002-855-11756465
Call him or send messages to him to book in advance.

#6 wen731 has been a member since 27/8/2011. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.